Gen Hoshino Becomes First Artist to Top Consecutive Weeks on Japan Hot 100 Without Physical Sales Points
Gen Hoshino's "Idea" stays at No. 1 on the latest Billboard Japan Hot 100 for the second week in a row, becoming the first song in the history of the chart to lead consecutive weeks without physical sales points.
On the chart dated Aug. 27 to Sept. 2, the "Koi" singer's new song comes in at No. 1 for downloads and Twitter mentions, No. 2 for radio airplay, No. 5 for video views, and No. 16 for streaming, showing continued strength in its eligible metrics of the chart's methodology.
DA PUMP's "U.S.A." rises again to No. 2 this week, ruling streaming and video views for the 10th consecutive week.
sumika's "Fanfare" overtakes Hoshino's "Idea" as the No. 1 song for radio airplay this week. The latest by the four-member pop-rock band jumps 58-4 on the Japan Hot 100, coming in at No. 5 for physical sales and look-ups, No. 17 for downloads, and No. 19 for Twitter mentions.
Two former No. 1 tracks by Japanese girl groups -- "Jikochu De Iko!" by Nogizaka46 and "Ambivalent" by Keyakizaka46 -- have been racing against each other on the Japan Hot 100 for four weeks after the respective CDs went on sale. "Jikochu De Iko!" sold over a million copies in its first week and topped the chart dated Aug. 6 to 12, while "Ambivalent" shot to No. 1 the following week with over 800,000 copies sold.
"Jikochu De Iko!" is still going strong in the physical sales metric and is on its way to breaking the 1.2 million mark, having sold 1,194,570 copies at press time. "Ambivalent" has sold 907,523 copies so far, which is also impressive, while also performing well in streaming. Both songs have been doing equally well for the download and Twitter metrics, so it'll be interesting to see how these factors play out over the following weeks.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOK, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, Recochoku provided by Gfk Japan, as well as streaming counts based on lyrics displayed on PetitLyrics.
Watch Gen Hoshino's "Idea" music video here:
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 20 (dated Aug. 27 to Sept. 2)
1. Idea / Gen Hoshino
2. U.S.A. / DA PUMP
3. Daifuseikai / back number
4. Fanfare / sumika
5. JOY Shitai Kimochi / A.B.C-Z
6. Jikochu De Iko! / Nogizaka46
7. Ambivalent / Keyakizaka46
8. Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu
9. Trinity Field / Rin Shibuya (CV: Ayaka Fukuhara), Karen Hojo (CV: (Mai Fuchigami), Nao Kamiya (CV: Eriko Matsui)
10. Ai No Katachi feat. HIDE (GReeeeN) / MISIA
11. IDOL / BTS
12. Bi Ni Iri Sai Wo Ugatsu / Sae Kobayakawa (CV: Rika Tachibana) & Shuko Shiomi (CV: Ru Thing)
13. Crazy Crazy / Shiki Ichinose (CV: Kotomi Aihara) & Frédérica Miyamoto (CV: Asami Takano)
14. Marigold / Aimyon
15. BDZ / TWICE
16. Moshi Kimi Wo Yurusetara / Leo Ieiri
17. Koshien / Masaharu Fukuyama
18. Kawaii make MY day! / Yuka Nakano (CV: Shino Shimoji), Yukari Mizumoto (CV: Akane Fujita), Noriko Shiina (CV: Chiyo Tomaru)
19. Ao To Natsu / Mrs. GREEN APPLE
20. Uchiage Hanabi / DAOKO x Kenshi Yonezu