5 Things to Know About JD McCrary, Childish Gambino's Young Grammys Co-Star
Grammy winner Childish Gambino (a.k.a. Donald Glover) gave a riveting performance of his song “Terrified” last night at the 60th Grammy Awards, with a surprise guest, JD McCrary.
Breaking into the music realm, the 10-year-old kid star offered his high pitched, mighty voice in harmony with Glover’s for an exhilarating performance. He is one the three featured guests on Gambino's album.
McCrary not only sings but he dances and acts, appearing on Little Big Shots (starring Steve Harvey), The Ellen Show and an episode of Disney Channel’s K.C. Undercover. He also
Here’s five other things to know about the young talent.
1. He sang at a Los Angeles Clippers Game and went viral. He played a game of “Finish the Lyrics” at a Clippers hoome contest in December, singing the Jackson 5's “Who’s Loving You?" Although his performance was cut short, the crown went wild for his vocals.
2. He’s been singing since he was in diapers. The young star stopped by The Ellen Show a few weeks ago to talk about his performances and singing. “I remember when I used to get my TV and play Thriller in the back because we had little CDs, and I would dance to it. It was really fun,” he said. Although at the time, his pitch wasn’t on point just yet, his vocals are now being compared to the legendary Michael Jackson. “I really appreciate everyone that thinks I’m at the level of Michael Jackson," he offered. "It’s really an honor."
3. He will play Young Simba. McCrary is set to appear in the live-action remake of The Lion King, alongside Glover as adult Simba, and Beyoncé as Nyla.
4. He's coming back to TV. McCrary has an upcoming role in Tyler Perry’s new comedy series, The Paynes, a spinoff of TBS’ House of Payne, to air on Oprah Winfrey's OWN network.
5. He is currently working on an EP. Sticking mostly to pop music, the young singer says he's currently halfway through recording a new EP. He hopes to become the youngest Grammy Award-winning solo artist, while inspiring other young kids to chase what they love. No date on when his EP will be released.
Watch Gambino and McCrary's full performance of "Terrified" below.