Jean Michel Jarre Announces Star-Studded 'Electronica Pt. 1: The Time Machine' LP
What do you do when an ambient electronic icon calls on your talents? You jump on board.
"I've wanted to tell a story for a while regarding electronic music history and its legacy from my point of view and experience, from when I started to nowadays," says French composer and producer Jean Michel Jarre.
The pioneer celebrates more than four decades of music with Electronica Part 1: The Time Machine, out on Ultra Records Oct. 16. The 16-track album features collaborations with Jarre’s favorite artists old and new, from Boys Noize and Little Boots to Tangerine Dream and Pete Townshend.
"I planned to compose for and collaborate with an array of artists,” Jarre continues, “who are, directly or indirectly linked to this scene, with people I admire for their singular contribution to our genre, that represent a source of inspiration for me over the last four decades I have been making music, but who also have an instantly recognizable sound. At the outset, I had no idea how this project would evolve, but I was delighted that everybody I reached out to accepted my invitation."
In the end, Electronica will be a two-volume project touting more than 30 musical partnerships. Electronica Pt. 2 is slated for a Spring 2016 release. Fans that can’t wait that long can look forward to the music video for “If..!” feat. Little Boots that will be out Saturday.
Jean Michel Jarre - Electronica Pt. 1: The Time Machine Tracklist
1. The Time Machine (JMJ & Boys Noize)
2. Glory (JMJ & M83)
3. Close your eyes (JMJ & AIR)
4. Automatic (part 1) (JMJ & Vince Clarke)
5. Automatic (part 2) (JMJ & Vince Clarke)
6. If..! (JMJ & Little Boots)
7. Immortals (JMJ & Fuck Buttons)
8. Suns have gone (JMJ & Moby)
9. Conquistador (JMJ & Gesaffelstein)
10. Travelator (part 2) (JMJ & Pete Townshend)
11. Zero Gravity (JMJ & Tangerine Dream)
12. Rely on me (JMJ & Laurie Anderson)
13. Stardust (JMJ & Armin van Buuren)
14. Watching you (JMJ & 3D (Massive Attack))
15. A question of blood (JMJ & John Carpenter)
16. The train & the river (JMJ & Lang Lang)