10 Things You Didn't See Watching The Grammys On TV
Here's some of the best off-camera moments from the red carpet and backstage at the 2010 Grammy Awards.
- Stephen Colbert's idea for Lady Gaga's next outfit? "Spray her down with glue and run her through a Build-a-Bear workshop."
- Pink confessed she almost took a tumble during her high-flying performance of "Glitter in the Air." The lights on the top of the Staples Center threw her off, she said backstage. "When I came out of the silk, I thought I was going to fall onto my nude butt," she said. "No one ever has another excuse to lip-sync."
- Kings of Leon's Caleb Followill says his family will celebrate the band's record of the year win for "Use Somebody" thusly: "We're getting my mom wasted!" The band says its next album is unlikely to include collaborations because the artists they'd want to collaborate with are all dead. "I'm not big on collaborations. It's a lot of pressure," says Followill.
- "The next person on my list to work with, I swear to God, is Carrie Underwood," T-Pain said backstage. "Everyone else can suck it until I work with Carrie Underwood."
- Jason Mraz says "Lucky," his best pop collaboration Grammy winner with Colbie Caillat, was written back and forth with her over email. The song's recording was "completely underground, because neither of our labels were into the idea," Mraz said backstage. He added that he lives in a community of family farms near San Diego and has taken up their cause against overdevelopment. His neighbors "were surprised to see me," says Mraz. "I started knocking on doors about a month ago."
- In addition to her collaboration with Mraz, Colbie Caillat's "Breathe" with Taylor Swift was up for a Grammy on Sunday. Her next collaborator? Rapper Common. "I want to do a hip-hop or R&B track and he said he wanted to work with me too," says Caillat.
- Why didn't Steve Martin show up to accept his Grammy for best bluegrass album? Martin told producer John McEwan to tell everyone that "he really wanted to be here, but he had a massage appointment," joked McEwan.
- Imogen Heap got the news that she'd been nominated for best-engineered album for her "Ellipse" via her inner-ear phones while she was performing a concert. She "started screaming," Heap said backstage, showing off her fan-inspired outfit: an LED collar with an electronic ticker of her fans' Twitter messages, as well as a purse with a screen showing fans' Twitpics.
- India.Arie's mom made her dress for the show - and the singer convinced her to make a matching purse the night before the Grammys.
- Snooki from MTV's "Jersey Shore" in the hallway at Staples Center, when asked how she was doing: "I'm tired and I need a drink."