Florence And The Machine Leads Mojo Nominations
London act Florence and the Machine has four Mojo music award nominations, ahead of rockers Kasabian who have three and Arctic Monkeys and Richard Hawley who both have two.
The U.K. awards, organized by Mojo magazine, are decided by readers voting online.
The winners will be announced on June 10 at a ceremony in London.
Florence and the Machine was nominated for best album for "Lungs" (Island/Universal), breakthrough act, best live act and song of the year with "You've Got the Love."
Leicester band Kasabian was shortlisted for best live act, song of the year for "Fire" and best album for "West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum." The band is signed to Columbia/Sony Music.
Sheffield act Arctic Monkeys are contesting song of the year for "Crying Lightning" (Domino) and best live act while Richard Hawley is up for song of the year for "Open Up Your Door" and best album for "Truelove's Gutter" (Mute/EMI).
Space rock band Hawkwind will be honored with the 2010 Mojo Maverick Award.
"Despite the fact that they have rarely flirted with the mainstream, their music and their attitude has inspired so many different areas of modern music, it's incredible," said Phil Alexander, Mojo Magazine's editor-in-chief.
Following is a list of the nominees:
- Kasabian "West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum" (Columbia/Sony Music)
- Richard Hawley "Truelove's Gutter" (Mute/EMI)
- Joanna Newsom "Have One On Me" (Drag City)
- Florence And The Machine "Lungs" (Island/Universal)
- Paul Weller "Wake Up The Nation" (Island/Universal)
Best Live Act
- Rufus Wainwright
- Arctic Monkeys
- Florence And The Machine
- The Jim Jones Revue
- John Grant
- Florence And The Machine
- The Low Anthem
- Mumford And Sons
Compilation of the Year
- Various Artists "A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind Volume 2" Pagan Love Vibrations Compiled And Mixed By The Amorphous Androgynous (Platipus)
- Various Artists "Can You Dig It? The Music And Politics Of Black Action Films 1968-1975" (Soul Jazz Records)
- Various Artists "Where The Action Is: Los Angeles Nuggets 1965 - 1968" (Rhino)
- Various Artists "Charlie Gillett's Radio Picks From Honky Tonk" (Ace)
- Various Artists "Island Records Reggae Box Set - War Ina Babylon" (Island/Universal)
Song of the Year
- Richard Hawley "Open Up Your Door" (Mute/EMI)
- Florence And The Machine "You've Got The Love" (Island/Universal)
- Kasabian "Fire" (Columbia/Sony Music)
- Arctic Monkeys "Crying Lightning" (Domino)
- Rage Against The Machine "Killing In The Name" (Sony Music)
COPYRIGHT: (c) Reuters 2009. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.