Nick Cannon Is Taking a Break From His Radio Show for 'Thorough Reflection and Education'

Nick Cannon
Christopher Polk/Getty Images for The Critics' Choice Awards

Nick Cannon attends The 22nd Annual Critics' Choice Awards at Barker Hangar on Dec. 11, 2016 in Santa Monica, Calif.

Nick Cannon is stepping back. The entertainer announced in a Facebook post on Thursday (July 16), that he'll be taking a break from his show Nick Cannon Mornings on Los Angeles' Power 106.

"I have decided to take some time away from my radio show so I can committ myself to deeper, more thorough reflection and education," he shared on Facebook. "I will use this time to establish an action plan towards real, impactful change and advocacy aimed at bringing people together."

He went on to thank Rabbis and community leaders for reaching out ato try to "enlighten" him. He continued: "Their input and friendship will help me as I further commit myself to more profound learning and towards strengthening the bond between the Black and Jewish cultures every day going forward."

The entertainer faced criticism after the June 23 episode of his podcast Cannon's Class, during which he interviewed former Public Enemy member Richard Griffin (aka Professor Griff.) A Jewish blogger flagged the interview, as Cannon was said to have made comments promoting anti-Semitic conspiracy theories.

ViacomCBS terminated their relationship with Cannon July 14. His show Wild 'N Out had been airing on the company's MTV and VH1 properties. In a statement, the media company said, "ViacomCBS condemns bigotry of any kind and we categorically denounce all forms of anti-Semitism. ... While we support ongoing education and dialogue in the fight against bigotry, we are deeply troubled that Nick has failed to acknowledge or apologize for perpetuating anti-Semitism, and we are terminating our relationship with him."

The morning after his dismissal, Cannon posted a Facebook message in which he insisted on "full ownership of my billion dollar Wild 'N Out brand that I created." He also asked for an apology, saying that ViacomCBS was on the "wrong side of history."

But by the evening of July 15, The Masked Singer host had changed his tune and tweeted an apology. "First and foremost I extend my deepest and most sincere apologies to my Jewish sisters and brothers for the hurtful and divisive words that came out of my mouth during my interview with Richard Griffin," he shared. "They reinforced the worst stereotypes of a proud and magnificent people and I feel ashamed of the uninformed and naïve place that these words came from. The video of this interview has since been removed."

Fox has said that Cannon will remain as host of The Masked Singer.

THE BILLBOARD BIZ
SUBSCRIBER EXPERIENCE

The Biz premium subscriber content has moved to Billboard.com/business.


To simplify subscriber access, we have temporarily disabled the password requirement.