“Suspending massive events is not necessary,” says the mayor of Mexico City.
A tweet on March 13 summed it up: “While Spain canceled international flights, Disney closes its doors, Canada switches university classes to online mode, Italy is in quarantine…in Mexico @CLaudiashein says #vivelatino2020 is on!
Vive Latino -- Mexico City's massive annual music festival that can draw crowds up to 100,000 people -- kicked off Saturday afternoon (March 14) despite thousands of tweets criticizing the choice to move forward in the middle of the Coronavirus pandemic. While at least a dozen acts had canceled their appearance by this morning -- including Spain's Vetusta Morla -- the Festival’s headliners, including Guns ‘N Roses, Vicentico and Tucanes de Tijuana, are still slated to perform.
"Authorities are telling us that we are in Phase 1 [of the Coronavirus epidemic] and we can move forward and that's what we're doing,” Vive Latino founder and director Jordi Puig told Billboard. Vive Latino is produced by Ocesa, which was acquired by Live Nation late last year. (Requests for comment were not returned by Live Nation at press time.)