News

John Prine Injures Hip, Cancels Bluesfest Performance

John Prine
Danny Clinch

John Prine

Americana legend John Prine won’t be making the trip to Australia this April as he recuperates from a hip injury. 

The 73-year-old year old musician has been told to put his feet up and take a break from touring. “Being on the road has aggravated a hip injury and he has had to return to the U.S. for surgery,” reads a statement posted by his family.

His scheduled performance at Bluesfest on Australia’s east coast this April has been scrapped, organizers confirmed Thursday. “With great regret and disappointment,” a statement reads, “we wish to advise that John Prine has been forced to cancel his upcoming Bluesfest performance this Easter - following the advice of his doctors regarding an existing hip injury.”

The Bluesfest message continues, “As always, John is appreciative of his loyal fans and friends all over the world and looks forward to returning to Australia at a future date. We sincerely apologise to fans affected by this cancellation and wish John a speedy recovery."

Prine’s website lists a run of North America and Europe dates booked through November, starting April 26 at Merle Fest in Wilkesboro, NC. A message from his family says the artist “will be looking forward to being back on the road” for this date and others.

Prine missed several shows in 2019 to undergo heart stent surgery. The “Angel From Montgomery” singer added the Grammys' Lifetime Achievement award to his collection last month, and he’ll receive the icon honor at the upcoming 2020 American Association of Independent Music Libera Awards (A2IM) this June in New York.