Dream Hampton, 'Surviving R. Kelly' Executive Producer, Reacts to Singer's Sex Abuse Charges

Noam Galai/Getty Images
R. Kelly performs in concert during the '12 Nights Of Christmas' tour at Kings Theatre on Dec. 17, 2016 in New York City. 

Dream Hampton, the executive producer and showrunner of the Lifetime docuseries Surviving R. Kelly, was caught off guard by the recent sex abuse charges against the R&B star, and hopes that he will finally "acknowledge the harm that he has caused."

"I can't say that I expected an indictment," Hampton told Good Morning America Saturday (Feb. 23). "I don't have much faith in the criminal justice system -- particularly after what happened during his first trial. But I am going to remain with the families and the survivors. I'm hopeful that there is a just outcome, but I didn't expect this. But it's here."    

On Friday, the 52-year-old Grammy winner turned himself in to a Chicago police station hours after authorities announced 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse involving four victims, including at least three between the ages of 13 and 17.

Kelly was acquitted on child pornography charges in 2008 and has consistently denied any sexual misconduct.

The singer's history of alleged abuse again came to light earlier this year with the release of Surviving R. Kelly, Lifetime's six-part docuseries that featured more than 50 testimonies from journalists, family, fellow musicians, and members of Kelly's circle who came forward to share their experiences.

Hampton says she and her crew have been waiting many years for Kelly to take responsibility for his alleged actions. "We've been waiting for him to acknowledge the harm that he has caused. He's never done that. He's only ever denied, obfuscated and derailed. And placed blame with others," she told GMA.

Kelly is expected to appear in court on Saturday.

See more of Hampton's reactions to Kelly's arrest in her tweets below.