Phoebe Bridgers Issues Statement Following Ryan Adams Allegations

Andrew Benge/Redferns.
Phoebe Bridgers performs on the Walled Garden stage during day 2 at Greenman Festival on Aug. 18, 2018 in Brecon, Wales.

Musician Phoebe Bridgers has issued a new statement addressing allegations of abuse by Ryan Adams, which came to light following a recent New York Times exposé involving numerous women.

“It’s been a weird week and I wanted to say a couple things. Thank you from my whole f---ing heart to my friends, my bands, my mom," Bridgers begins the statement, which she posted on social media Saturday (Feb. 16). "They all supported and validated me. They told me that what had happened was f--ed up and wrong, and that I was right to feel weird about it. I couldn’t have done this without them."

Bridgers, one of seven women who have come forward claiming emotional abuse or sexual misconduct against Adams, told the Times that she was 20 when Adams invited her to his Pax-Am studio one night in 2014, where she impressed him with a song performance. Their professional relationship developed from there and Adams suggested releasing her songs on 7-inch vinyl via his record label.

But things turned romantic and then obsessive and emotionally abusive, she said. Adams would text her relentlessly, asking she prove her whereabouts or leave social situations to have phone sex, she said, even threatening suicide if she didn't immediately respond. Eventually, Bridgers broke things off, and then Adams rescinded his previous offer to Bridgers to open his upcoming concerts and became evasive about releasing the music they had recorded together.

In 2017, Bridgers opened for Adams on tour ahead of the release of her debut album. "Then, the first day, he asked me to bring him something in his hotel room," she told the Times. "I came upstairs and he was completely nude." (Adams, through his lawyer, denied this incident.)

Last week, the Times reported on Thursday that FBI agents from the bureau's Crimes Against Children New York squad has opened an inquiry into Adams' communications with the aspiring bassist, who was 14 when the two allegedly struck up an online friendship in 2013.

Adams, via a lawyer, has denied ever discussing anything other than music with fans, or engaging in any explicit correspondence with a minor; the FBI has not released any additional information on its investigation. Adams has denied the allegations in the original Times story, calling some of the details "misrepresented," "exaggerated" and "outright false."

Read Bridgers' statement in full below.

“It’s been a weird week and I wanted to say a couple things. Thank you from my whole f---ing heart to my friends, my bands, my mom. They all supported and validated me. They told me that what had happened was f--ed up and wrong, and that I was right to feel weird about it. I couldn’t have done this without them. Ryan had a network too. Friends, bands, people he worked with. None of them held him accountable. They told him, by what they didn’t, that what he was doing was okay. They validated him. He couldn’t have done this without them. Guys, if your friend is acting f---ed up, call them out. If they’re actually your friend, they’ll listen. That’s the way this all gets better.”