Coronavirus

Kid Rock Out of Nashville Christmas Parade After Profane Fox News Comments

Kid Rock
Scott Legato/Getty Images

Kid Rock performs the very first show at the new Little Caesars Arena on Sept. 12, 2017 in Detroit, Michigan. 

Kid Rock's profane comments on live TV have gotten him booted from leading the Nashville Christmas Parade.

Instead, the parade has invited the man hailed as a community hero for wrangling a gun away from the shooter during a deadly Nashville Waffle House shooting in April.

In a statement Friday, parade organizers Piedmont Natural Gas, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt, and Tennessee Holiday Productions said they have invited James Shaw Jr., saying the grand marshal in Saturday's parade should personify the spirit of the Nashville community.

The statement said Kid Rock had previously volunteered to serve as grand marshal.

The switch follows a Fox & Friends interview Friday in which Kid Rock used an expletive to describe Joy Behar of "The View."

Nashville Mayor David Briley's office says he's "inclined not to participate" in a Christmas parade if Kid Rock remains grand marshal.

Multiple Fox & Friends personalities apologized. Kid Rock apologized for the language, but "not the sentiment."

Kid Rock is slated to be grand marshal Saturday in the privately run Nashville Christmas Parade.

Mayoral spokesman Thomas Mulgrew said Briley was disgusted by Kid Rock's comments about Behar. He said Nashville is an inclusive place and Briley doesn't want to be included in a parade with a grand marshal who says hateful things on national television.


THE BILLBOARD BIZ
SUBSCRIBER EXPERIENCE

The Biz premium subscriber content has moved to Billboard.com/business.


To simplify subscriber access, we have temporarily disabled the password requirement.