Adele Climbs U.K. Rich List, Paul McCartney Still On Top
The London pop singer is the richest solo female musician, as her wealth grew from £85 million ($109 million) to £125 million ($161 million) thanks to continuing sales of her hit album 25 and a massive global tour in support of it, according to the Sunday Times Rich List.
Adele came in equal 19th with Queen guitarist Brian May in the list of the richest musicians in the U.K., a survey which is again dominated by older, male rockers. No-one in the top 20 came close to earning the £40 million ($51 million) Adele raked-in last year.
Beatles great Paul McCartney takes top spot with £780 million ($1 billion) with his wife Nancy Shevell, while impresario Andrew Lloyd-Webber, U2, Elton John, Mick Jagger and his Rolling Stones bandmate Keith Richards complete the top 5.
The initial list of the top 20 millionaires in music is below ahead of the publication in-full of the annual wealth survey this Sunday.
1. Sir Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell (£780 million)
2. Lord Lloyd-Webber (£740 million)
3. U2 (£548 million)
4. Sir Elton John (£290 million)
5. Sir Mick Jagger (£250 million
6. Keith Richards (£235 million)
7. Olivia and Dhani Harrison (£210 million)
8= Michael Flatley (£200 million)
8= Ringo Starr (£200 million)
10. Sting (£185 million)
11= Eric Clapton (£170 million)
11= Sir Rod Stewart (£170 million)
13. Roger Waters (£165 million)
14. Sir Tom Jones (£160 million)
15. Sir Tim Rice (£152 million)
16. Robbie Williams (£150 million)
17. Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne (£140 million)
18. Charlie Watts (£130 million)
19= Adele (£125 million)
19= Brian May (£125 million)