Prince: DEA Not Involved in Investigation Currently, Official Says
Despite some reports to the contrary, the Drug Enforcement Administration is not involved in the Prince case, an official with the Carver County sheriff's office told The Hollywood Reporter.
"The DEA is not part of this investigation at this time," Jason Kamerud, spokesman for the sheriff's office, told THR.
A search warrant was issued on Thursday for the case, but it has been sealed, meaning specifics of where the search will take place and what is found will not be made public at this time.
In new documents released by the sheriff's office, data show authorities were called to Prince's home for medical calls on Aug. 9 and again on Sept. 6 of last year. The exact nature of the medical calls is unclear.
On Wednesday, NBC News reported that the legendary musician allegedly had pain killers in his possession at the time of his death. The network also reported that the sheriff's office had enlisted the help of the DEA in its investigation.
Prince was found dead a week ago at his Paisley Park home. He was 57. His autopsy — which took longer than normal due to the thoroughness of the exam — was completed the following day.
There is no ETA on when test results will be back, but authorities did say there were "no obvious signs of trauma" to Prince's body, and they had "no reason to believe at this point that this was a suicide."
On Thursday, the coroner's office told THR speculation from media outlets over the cause of Prince's death was just that — speculation.
Prince was cremated, and a small, private service was held last weekend at an undisclosed location for his family and friends. Prince will be honored at a public memorial service on May 6 outside Los Angeles City Hall.
This article originally appeared on The Hollywood Reporter