Kanye West: 'I've Got 5 Years Before I Run For Office' & Other Essential Quotes From 'Vanity Fair' Interview
Kanye West recently spoke with Vanity Fair about Yeezy Season 2, and while the conversation was mostly fashion-related, he also spoke a bit about his upcoming new album as well as that buzzy presidential run.
Below, five of his best quotes from the chat, which you can read in full over on VanityFair.com.
1. When asked if it could be another year before we get another Kanye album, West replied, "I’m not sure. I’m not worried about the years. I’m worried about the life and the body of work that I can put out while I’m breathing."
2. Yeezy stores may be a ways off. When asked about any concrete plans, West quipped, "The only concrete plan is that I plan to use concrete."
3. West on his growing acceptance in the fashion industry: "Eventually I want the whole world to accept me and I want the whole world to accept each other. My vision of life is that we have all of the information to live in a better world, but we’re always holding information back. . . . In general the world is stingy with information. Information is the most important thing we have. Anytime I’ve ever had someone who intentionally held information from me in order to either control or manipulate the situation, be in charge of it in a certain way, that is the greatest travesty. I’d rather someone be hateful."
4. While discussing Kanye 2020, West shared that he's "definitely" still planning on running, and elaborated, "And then as soon as I said [the presidential announcement] it was like, wait a second, we would really be into that, because actually if you think about it, he’s extremely thoughtful. Every time he’s ever gotten in trouble, he was really jumping in front of a bullet for someone else. He’s probably the most honest celebrity that we have.
"I didn’t approach that because I thought it would be fun. It wasn’t like, Oh, let’s go rent some jet skis in Hawaii. No, the exact opposite. I sit in clubs and I’m like, Wow, I’ve got five years before I go and run for office and I’ve got a lot of research to do, I’ve got a lot of growing up to do. My dad has two masters degrees. My mom has a PhD, she used to work at Operation PUSH. Somehow the more and more creative I get, the closer and closer I get to who I was as a child. When I was a child, I was holding my mom’s hand at Operation PUSH. I think it’s time."
5. On if the upcoming album is still called Swish. "It’s currently called Swish. I’m forgetting even what the last name of it was now."