Tyler, the Creator Hasn't been Refused Entry Into Australia
OK, so Tyler, the Creator hasn’t been banned from Australia. The controversial rapper posted a tweet earlier this week in which he said he’s no longer welcome Down Under after being targeted with a petition by Collective Shout, which works against the objectification of women and sexualization of girls in media, advertising and popular culture.
A ban would surely unravel Tyler’s scheduled four-date tour of Australia. It would if it were accurate.
The promoter of Tyler’s Australia trek, Frontier Touring, says the shows will go on. In a statement emailed to Billboard, Frontier Touring says, “With respect to media reports that Tyler, The Creator’s visa has been refused, Frontier would like to advise that this is not the case. The department for immigration has raised issues with the visa application but it has not been refused and Frontier will update ticket holders as soon as more information comes to hand”.
Of course, all that could change in the month ahead.
Tyler’s Australia tour is due to kick off Sept. 3 at The Tivoli in Brisbane before visiting Sydney, Melbourne and coming to a halt Sept. 8 at Perth’s The Capitol. A Facebook page set up for the tour has been effectively hi-jacked by folks petitioning for him to be either barred or allowed into the country.
It’s not the first time Tyler has caught the ire of Collective Shout. In 2013, the organization called for the artist’s visa to be taken away and his shows be canceled, citing hateful lyrics against women. Earlier this year, Collective Shout renewed its campaign against Tyler to ban his travel to the Land Down Under.