Lil Wayne Has Not Dismissed Cash Money Records Lawsuit
Lil Wayne has not dropped his $51 million lawsuit against Cash Money Records, contrary to reports.
Wayne’s lawyer, Ron Sweeney, told Rolling Stone that the original lawsuit was filed in New York -- where offices of Cash Money and Universal Music Group are located. The two parties have agreed to re-file the suit in New Orleans, Louisiana, where Wayne first signed to Cash Money in 1998.
"We gave them until [Monday], April 6th to file an answer," Sweeney told Rolling Stone via a statement. "[Cash Money] said they were going to challenge the venue, so at that point, it was a waste of time and money, so we all agreed that we would dismiss the action [in New York] and Wayne and [his record label] Young Money would re-file in New Orleans."
The parties will “transfer the claims raised in the action which had been commenced in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York to the Federal and/or State Courts of Louisiana.
"The claims previously asserted by Lil Wayne and Young Money LLC against Cash Money for substantial monies owed and breach of fiduciary duty have not been settled and will be prosecuted in Louisiana as expeditiously as possible," the statement says.
Reports of the lawsuit being dismissed seemed suspicious anyway, given that they came less than a week after Lil Wayne yelled out "fuck Cash Money" at a show at Jacksonville, Florida’s Aqua Night Club on April 2.