Dutch police subsequently confirmed that a 41-year-old Dutch woman died on Sunday after taking ill at an ADE event at Club Lite. According to police, a coroner found that the woman died as a result of ecstasy use.
Phoenix Music International head of publishing Felix Hines also reportedly died on Saturday morning while attending an ADE event, MusicWeek reports. No cause of death was stated.
In response to the first two reported deaths, ADE Director Richard Zijlma released the following statement on Monday:
“The ADE organization is shocked by these tragic accidents. We are in close contact with all of the venues, municipalities and emergency services that are part of the ADE Festival and every precaution is taken to ensure the safety and security of the audience at all participating venues. Each venue is responsible for its own security and door policy and a comprehensive inspection is also completed at every venue entrance. Drug use is not tolerated in any way at ADE and its partners make every effort to ensure that people are behaving responsibly at the event. Ultimately there is a limit to what we can do and individuals must take responsibility for their own actions. Our thoughts are with the families and friends at this time and we would like to express our deepest sympathy to them."
Electric Zoo Drug Deaths Spur More Drug Screening Measures
ADE claims that these deaths are the first to be associated with the annual dance industry conference in Amsterdam. The incidents have already prompted Dutch politicians to debate the merits of allowing drug testing at events.
The 19th edition of ADE took place from Oct. 15 – 19 last week and consisted of over 2,200 artists playing more than 300 events at 120 different venues.