News

Radio Host Eddie 'Piolin' Sotelo Airless Again After SiriusXM Cancels Show

Eddie 'Piolin' Sotelo in a publicity still from SiriusXM

SiriusXM issued a short statement saying they had “mutually agreed to end their relationship.”

Less than a year after its launch, Eddie “Piolin” Sotelo’s highly-touted show on SiriusXM radio has been canceled.

“El Show de Piolin,” a four-hour daily morning show launched in October 2013, became Sotelo’s new platform after his long-running syndicated show on Univision Radio was canceled amid allegations of sexual misconduct.

Soon after, Sotelo -- one of Spanish-language radio’s most recognizable and high profile voices -- announced he was going to SiriusXM.

The move seemed to make sense. Top Latin personalities from politics to entertainment had been regulars on Sotelo’s Univision show and his influence was so broad that even President Barack Obama and wife, Michelle Obama, went on his show.

But on July of 2013, Univision abruptly canceled the morning staple which originated daily from KSCA (101-FM in Los Angeles). Soon after, a former co-worker publicly accused him of "physically, sexually and emotionally harassing" him for three years, among other claims. Sotelo promptly denied the accusations and said he planned to be back in radio “very soon.”

He was indeed, through SiriusXM, which was looking to expand in the Latin marketplace. Sotelo was heavily featured as one of the driving forces behind a free trial promotion for 10 SiriusXM Spanish-language channels and that ran through Feb. 15.

All told, SiriusXM offers 21 Spanish-language channels tailored toward Hispanic listeners, including music channels with rich programming that delve in just about every genre.

Sotelo, however, was the first major Spanish-language terrestrial radio DJ to go to Sirius, and at first glance, the show seemed to be successful, with more than 1.6 million likes on Facebook.

But the early cancelation hints that it wasn’t as successful as had been expected.

SiriusXM didn’t dwell on the reasons behind the departure, except to issue a short statement saying Sotelo and the company had “mutually agreed to end their relationship,” and that the company “thanked Piolin for his many contributions and wished him the best in his future endeavors.”

Sotelo has yet to announce other plans, but his legal problems are not over. Last year, he filed a lawsuit against six former Univision employees and their Los Angeles attorneys, alleging civil extortion and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The lawsuit claimed the defendants “attempted to extort $4.9 million” from him under the threat of publicly embarrassing plaintiff and damaging his reputation by the disclosure of false and misleading allegations.

Last month, a Los Angeles county judge dismissed the suit and ordered Sotelo to pay back $100,000 in legal fees.