"The biggest irony of parenting is you have this baby that's so cute and so loved, but sometimes it drives you crazy," Roth tells Billboard. "So this is a little homage to all the parents out there. We thought it was time to do another compilation, and I wanted to pick a theme that would be fun to work on, that had a little attitude. As we were looking through songs we might want to put on a compilation, a little theme emerged for me; there were songs that had a so-called 'good' theme and song titles, and song titles that had a little bit of a 'bad' theme. It grew very natural from there."
"Good Baby, Bad Baby" is Rockabye Baby's first compilation since the series' five-year anniversary double disc, 2011's "Good Day, Good Night." It also released a "Xmas Rock" set in 2007. This is also the first of the releases to be packaged with a picture book featuring illustrations for each song, which Roth says is "something we always wanted to do."
The Maroon 5 track will be a preview of a full Rockabye Baby album dedicated to the band due out this year, along with a volume of Bruce Springsteen songs. "Happy," meanwhile, was "actually added on at the very end," according to Roth. "It was just a no-brainer for 'Good Baby,' and as we were producing the CD and the cover art and the blurbs and the music that song was blowing up bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger, and I finally said, 'We have to add that.' It's such a happy song and this is such a funny, fun, happy compilation/picture book, it was a no-brainer."
"Good Baby, Bad Baby" is Rockabye Baby's 62nd release since 2006, and Roth predicts has plenty of ideas as well as "a huge wish list" for the future. That includes R&B staples from the Motown, Stax and Philadelphia International that Roth says is her "favorite" type of music. Artists approach the company to be part of the series as well, and Roth says she'd love to see the performers get involved with the Rockabye discs as well, "maybe to hum along or sing. We've actually talked about that. I think there's a way to do it, so stay tuned for that."
Good Baby, Bad Baby Tracklist:
1. The Sweetest Thing (from Lullaby Renditions of U2)
2. Happy (Lullaby Rendition of Pharrell Williams)
3. My Hero (from Lullaby Renditions of Foo Fighters)
4. F**kin' Perfect (from Lullaby Renditions of P!nk)
5. Halo (Lullaby Rendition of Beyoncé)
6. She Will Be Loved (Lullaby Rendition of Maroon 5)
7. Enjoy the Silence (from Lullaby Renditions of Depeche Mode)
8. Crazy (Lullaby Rendition of Gnarls Barkley)
9. Breaking the Law (Lullaby Rendition of Judas Priest)
10. Back to Black (Lullaby Rendition of Amy Winehouse)
11. Big Pimpin' (from Lullaby Renditions of Jay Z)
12. Love the Way You Lie (Lullaby Rendition of Eminem/Rihanna)
13. Creep (Lullaby Rendition of Radiohead)