Glub glub, baby: We're traveling to the Deep South this week. And I mean deep, as the pride of Bikini Bottom spews forth our coolest song in the world this week, "Ridin' the Hook."
Glub glub, baby: We're traveling to the Deep South this week. And I mean deep, as the pride of Bikini Bottom spews forth our coolest song in the world this week, "Ridin' the Hook." It's by a cat who's so hip, he's square; yes, Mr. Clean, the man whose conversation is never less than absorbing, the Spongester himself, SpongeBob SquarePants.
The new album, "Best Day Ever," is Bobby's first concept album. If you have kids, or live in a state of permanent arrested development like me, or occasionally like to smoke those funny cigarettes, you're going to love this.
The story's based around a radio station, WH20 and the star DJ on the station is none other than Jerry Blavat, the Geator with the Heater himself. One of the last of the truly legendary DJ characters in real life and an inspired choice by writer/producers Andy Paley and Tom Kenny.
It's not a one-hit album either, with additional future classics like "Doin' the Krabby Patty" (SpongeBob with Patrick, who also duets on "Hook"). Squidward's "Superior" lives up to its name and Plankton's "You Will Obey!" has a touch of Captain Hook meets Rocky Horror.
The label is Nickelodeon's, and somebody needs to be paying a little more attention to this thing. I couldn't find any hint of its existence on the SpongeBob homepage and I'd have to recommend they partner with somebody who cares: maybe Seymour Stein at Sire, since he turned me on to it, despite having no involvement in the record whatsoever.
And maybe this downloading thing has an upside. Universal, among others, is making older, out-of-print vinyl records available for downloading, since there is no packaging cost. Some cool things will be available again—like Brigitte Bardot's "Je T'aime . . . Moi Non Plus." I'll take a dozen, please. See you next week.
COOLEST GARAGE SONGS
1. "Ridin' the Hook," Spongebob & the Hi-Seas
2. "Wreck This Heart," Bob Seger
3. "Stranger in the House," the Paybacks
4. "Wanna," the Stabilisers
5. "Never Gonna Die," the Shys
6. "Pink Cadillac," Jerry Lee Lewis with Bruce Springsteen
7. "It's Not About What I Want (It's What You Got)," the Woggles
8. "Punkrocker," Teddybears
9. "Zeno Beach," Radio Birdman
10. "Dolls," Primal Scream
COOLEST GARAGE ALBUMS
1. "Shine On," Jet
2. "Last Man Standing," Jerry Lee Lewis
3. "Riot City Blues," Primal Scream
4. "The Rise and Fall of Butch Walker & the Let's Go Out Tonites," Butch Walker & the Let's Go Out Tonites
5. "One Day It Will Please Us to Remember Even This," New York Dolls
6. "Broken Boy Soldiers," the Raconteurs
7. "Rockford," Cheap Trick
8. "Zeno Beach," Radio Birdman
9. "Sinner," Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
10. "Astoria," the Shys