Check out 10 things that caught our attention in Austin yesterday:
SXSW 2011 Main Page
1. Erykah Badu, sporting overalls and gold chains, jumped on-stage with Brooklyn duo Matt & Kim at the Fader Fort.
2. With the Texas sun blazing down on those at the SPIN Stubb's party Friday afternoon, headliners TV on the Radio made it a point to encourage its fans to beat the heat. "Stay hydrated," frontman Tunde Adebimpe implored the crowd, suggesting attendees "sweat on a friend." Surely the two hottest fans in attendance? Brobee and Plex, the costumed characters from Yo Gabba Gabba, who were randomly brought to the stage just before TVOTR went on.
3. Among the many rumors circling the big hip-hop performances of Saturday night? That Kanye West
won't take the stage at the VEVO party until 3:45am, that Common
, Mos Def
, Kid Cudi
and John Legend
will join him, and that none other than Diddy
will make a cameo during cult rapper Lil B
's headlining set at the Fader Fort.
4. Spanish rock band Polock and its wall-of-sound guitars got the crowd dancing at the daytime party for the local business guide, Yelp. The band, which recently signed to Latin alternative indie label Nacional Records, played its buzz track "Fireworks" as guests sampled free Pirate's Booty and rum drinks.
5. After tearing it up with a solo set that included a cover of Gnarls Barkley
's "Crazy" at the Idolator party Thursday, "American Idol" season 9 alum Crystal Bowersox
played an initimate set with Blues Traveler
frontman John Popper at the Driskill hotel Friday.
6. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
took the crowd at Stubb's back to the '80s for their blazing afternoon set. Moby
, who introduced the band as one of his great influences, joined the duo on bass for their closing numbers "Souvenir" and "Enola Gay."
7. Comedian Aziz Ansari hit Austin hard Friday; he was spotted at the afternoon's hottest gigs, including Deerhunter's set at the Rhapsody party and the Smith Western's show at Fader Fort.
8. Yoko Ono
and former Yankees player Bernie Williams made the rounds at the annual Billboard/BMI Acoustic brunch, held on the sprawling lawn of the Four Seasons hotel
9. Members of Brooklyn band Beach Fossils
were seen being pursued down 6th street by security outside of Buffalo Billiards. The chase ensued after the band trashed the stage at the end of their Billboard Bungalow showcase.
10. Adam Duritz of Counting Crows
showed up at Billboard's Buffalo Billiards showcase with assorted cupcakes for his friends and fans. Duritz's mop of dreads was later seen near the stage, bouncing along to The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
SXSW: Billboard Showcase Photos