Marc Anthony: Nothing 'Sensationalistic' About Split With Jennifer Lopez
A month and a half after announcing their split, Marc Anthony has joined his ex Jennifer Lopez in speaking out, telling ABC News there was nothing "sensationalistic" about the marriage's demise, adding he'll "always love" the mother of his children.
After seven years of marriage, Anthony insists the break-up "wasn't something sensationalistic," a nod to the rumors in recent weeks that he had carried on a close relationship with his "HAWthorne" co-star Jada Pinkett Smith. Anthony just says the marriage no longer "worked."
"These things happen. It was a decision that we made jointly," later adding, "This is not a funeral, this is not a burial … This is just two people who came together and just realized -- and so I'm saying that it wasn't sustainable the way it was, and that's that."
In a teaser promo for the "Nightline" special, airing Thursday, Anthony says, "I will always love Jennifer."
Earlier in August, Lopez broke her silence on the split in an interview with Vanity Fair. In it, she showered Anthony with praise and hinted that they could continue working together professionally and, more importantly, as co-parents to their 3-year-old twins, Max and Emme.
"I will always respect Marc as a singer and performer," Lopez said. "He will always be in our lives. He will always hold a special place in my heart as the father of my children."
The couple, once thought to be one of Hollywood's most stable, announced on July 15 that they were ending their marriage. They married in Beverly Hills in June 2004. Lopez previously married Ojani Noa in 1997 and Cris Judd in 2001.