This year's first Coolest Song of the Week comes from an appropriately cool place: Solna, Sweden.This year's first Coolest Song of the Week comes from an appropriately cool place: Solna, Sweden.
The Nomads have been leading the contemporary garage rock movement in Sweden since 1980—a virtual Nordic Chesterfield Kings, if you will.
Original members Nick Vahlberg (vocals) and Hans Ustland (guitar) have changed rhythm sections through the years, but as their new compilation "Nomadic Dementia: The Best of the First 25 Years" suggests, they've been consistently great from the jump.
Otherwise, I guess I was wrong about Bob Dylan escaping the Classic Rock Artist curse. Even though he was one of the few to at least go gold last year, I thought he was an easy win at the Grammy Awards.
And he wasn't even nominated.
So that makes it unanimous.
Anybody doing great business live is officially banished from the mainstream music business forever.
One thing's for sure, though. The classic rock generation can be proud of the fact that Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Ray Davies and Pete Townshend continue to be artistically adventurous, in spite of a mainstream radio world that obviously isn't interested, and all produced uncompromisingly brilliant work in 2006. That takes strength and courage and refusal to go gently into their good night.
So now, boys, it's time to come back with follow-up Exterminator Pop Rock albums, 12 three-minute killer songs, just to show these young whippersnappers how it's really done.
See you on the radio.
COOLEST GARAGE SONGS
1. "Within You Without You," the Beatles
2. "Ain't No King of Rock and Roll," the Nomads
3. "Long Live the Weekend," the Living End
4. "Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing," the Beatles
5. "POD," Tenacious D
6. "Favorite Son," Green Day
7. "So Romantic," the Charms
8. "Dance Like a Monkey," New York Dolls
9. "Ridin' the Hook," Spongebob & the Hi-Seas
10. "Wreck This Heart," Bob Seger
COOLEST GARAGE ALBUMS
1. "Broken Boy Soldiers," the Raconteurs
2. "Last Man Standing," Jerry Lee Lewis
3. "Shine On," Jet
4. "State of Emergency," the Living End
5. "Sinner," Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
6. "Rockford," Cheap Trick
7. "One Day It Will Please Us to Remember Even This," New York Dolls
8. "Riot City Blues," Primal Scream
9. "Astoria," the Shys
10. "The Pick of Destiny," Tenacious D