Countdown to the 25th Annual Billboard Latin Music Conference: 1989-1993
In honor of the 25 anniversary of Billboard's Latin Music Conference, Billboard.biz is breaking out the greatest moments from Latin music's premiere event. The conference has hosted Superstar Q&A’s from Latin legends including Pitbull, Enrique Iglesias, Don Omar and the late Jenni Rivera.
In honor of the 25 anniversary of Billboard's Latin Music Conference, Billboard.biz is breaking out the greatest moments from Latin music's premiere event. The conference has hosted Superstar Q&A’s from Latin legends including Pitbull, Enrique Iglesias, Don Omar and the late Jenni Rivera. Showcases from the event have assisted in the launch of countless careers, including Selena, Kat Dahlia and Prince Royce. Let's take a look back at the first five years 1989-1993.
- Billboard produces the first Premios Lo Nuestra A La Musica Latina Conference & Awards
- Regional Mexican Group Los Bukis win big at the first ever Premios Lo Nuestro Awards taking home Regional Mexican Album of the Year, Regional Mexican Song of the Year and Regional Mexican Group of the Year.
This media is not available on this platform.
- Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine take home Pop Group of the Year and Crossover Artist of the Year at the inagural Premios Lo Nuestro Awards.
- The generically named Latin Music Seminar, sponsored by Billboard, starts as a one-day event in Miami. It consists of five industry panels, two artist showcases and an awards show televised from the 4,000-seat James L. Knight Center.
- In addition to performing his hit single "Simon Sez" Latin Pop Icon Chayanne wins Pop Male Artist of the Year at the 2nd Annual Lo Nuestro Awards.
- In 1991, Mexican artist Ana Gabriel was the most nominated artist at the Premios Lo Nuestro Awards. At the end of the night Gabriel took home three awards including Pop Album of the year, Pop Song of the Year and Female Pop Artist of the Year.
- The Latin Music Conferecne expanded to a two-day event with six panels, tackling the topics of piracy, management and publishing.
- The Billboard Latin Music Conference & Awards take place in Las Vegas, the only time in its history that it wasn't held in Miami.
- Havana native Jon Secada earns his first top 10, as "Just Another Day" ticks 11-10 on the charts. The song will go on to peak at no. 5 on the Billboard Charts. Secada performs at a Billboard Latin Music Conference showcase.
- In 1992, Selena (right) recieves her first No.1 on the Hot Latin Songs chart with her first hit, "Buenos Amigos." Selena performed in the new artist showcase at the Latin Music Conference.
- Music mogul Emilio Estefan (right) becomes the Billboard Latin Conference's first keynote speaker.
- Producer/recording artist Jelly-Bean Benitez participates in a video panel at the Latin Music Conference.
- Selena performs 1993's Regional Mexican Song of the Year, "Como La Flor" at the Premios lo Nuestro.
- Billboard's 4th Annual International Latin Music Conference & Music Awards makes the cover of the May 22, 1993 issue (at the top of this article).