10 Badass Ryn Weaver Moments From Billboard Hot 100 Fest
Despite playing opposite Skrillex at the Billboard Hot 100 Fest, Ryn Weaver's set on the Beach Stage was hot fire, complete with combustible dance moves (she can do a mean power-squat), and numerous trips into the crowd.
Those who caught her side stage set got a treat. Here are ten moments of Ryn being Ryn:
1. Skrillex is playing simultaneously on the main stage, and in between Weaver's songs, his bass thump and the roar of his amphitheater crowd are impossible to ignore. But it's not like she's going to hate: "Shout out to Skrillex because we're actually friends."
2. "You probably know every one of my songs and not just the singles," Weaver beams to a few people in the front of her crowd, who've been singing all the words back to her. "We know it's about more than what gets played on radio… I hope they don't kick me out of this fest."
3. A little later, the crew love continues: "I got a crew here! I see people in the front that were at my first fucking shows."
4. Trash guys came up more than once in her set: "This one's about a boyfriend who wouldn't leave me the fuck alone after I broke up with him," she says.
5. "I'm a sad little mess," she commiserates to the crowd, admitting the past three months weren't good to her romantically. But she keeps it positive "How many of you are happy and in love?" At first, only three hands are raised. Kindred spirits, clearly.
6. There are a couple jeerers in the crowd. One girl won't stop yelling, "Stop the hate," towards Weaver's more confessional moments. A guy nearby her won't stop trolling with comments like, "Why don't you just be sexy?" But Weaver keeps her cool. She introduces "Traveling Song," from her 2015 album The Fool: "My grandpa was a badass artist. He died January 1, and song is about him."
7. And we're back to (politely) sticking it to the man: "I ain't no Hot 100 diva. I defy that shit. But I am very happy to be here!"
8. The stage crew is telling her no, but Weaver is going to play one more song, dammit: "Yeah, YOLO. Someone else took too much time… Don't fuck with me." She closes with her album closer "New Constellations." The crew is milling about uncomfortably, but she goes with it like a baller. Point taken.
9. One final time, she makes it out into the crowd. With "New Constellations" done, she gives one more pep talk:
10. After the set is over, Weaver sticks around to watch New Politics close out the Beach Stage.