Nicki Minaj & Safaree 'SB' Samuels: 15 Things Learned From His Power 105 Interview
Before The Pinkprint album, Nicki Minaj held her relationship with ex-boyfriend Safaree "SB" Samuels close to the heart.
But on her third studio album, Minaj opened up about the ups and downs of their relationship, including on "The Crying Game" and "Bed of Lies" (which Samuels says he was in attendance for when recorded in March).
After Minaj's emotional interview with Power 105's Angie Martinez, and the ex-couple beefing on Twitter, Samuels visits Power 105's The Breakfast Club to share his side, and details of their relationship and breakup.
Here are 15 things we learned about Nicki Minaj and SB's decade-plus relationship:
1. Nicki Minaj and SB first met when they joined rap group the Hood$tars in the early 2000s. "We did the group thing for two years. It didn't really work out. She branched out and did her solo thing. Packed two cars and moved to Atlanta," he explained.
2. SB and Minaj -- who he considers his "soul mate" -- were "friends for a year and a half first and then the relationship started."
3. SB "walked away" from their "situation" because of a lack of respect. "Everyone around her works for her. It got to the point where it was like, 'I'm your man. I'm the one that you go to sleep with every night. I'm the one who you wake up with every morning.' And it got to the point where I was being treated like an employee instead of her man," he told The Breakfast Club.
4. SB was "numb" to Minaj's flirtatious ways (like smooching Lil Wayne), but feels "like there was some stuff that didn't have to be done."
5. Minaj's rumored affair with Meek Mill doesn't upset SB. He wishes her the best: "She can get married tomorrow and be pregnant the next day and I'd wish her nothing but the best."
6. Something SB was adamant about during the Power 105 radio interview is being upset at Minaj for allegedly "publicly trying to pull me down."
7. SB has tattoos of Minaj inked on his body: "I'm putting tattoos of your face all over my body and showing the world I don't care."
8. SB helped Nicki Minaj to write raps: "Every time it came down to writing raps and doing music, it came down to me, her and the beat. She doesn't do it by herself. It's me and her."
9. In 2011, Nicki Minaj was involved in a physical altercation, in which she's heard screaming "what you hitting me for?" on a 911 call. The Breakfast Club brought up the incident, and asked SB if he ever hit Minaj. "No, I would never hit her," he responded. (I still wonder if there was abuse in their relationship, considering Minaj rapped about it on "The Crying Game": "Another slap to the face face, another uppercut/ I'm just abusive by nature/ Not because I hate you.")
10. Minaj and SB shared finances, but he claims it was never a case of Minaj purchasing items for him: "All the shit that I have, we got together… All my cars, everything I got stuff is under my name. (Although on "Bed of Lies," Minaj raps: "Put you in the crib and you never pay a bill in it.")
11. The ex-couple, together, own the Pink Friday production. "There's paperwork with some situations, like the Pink Friday production; it's only me and her who own that," he said.
12. SB claims he never cheated on Minaj, but he was "at the wrong place at the wrong time."
13. The ex-couple has been separated for "four months," but talked two weeks ago when she asked SB: "'Are you sure this is what you want us to be?'"
14. According to SB, Minaj and SB never married because "it would've been public information. That was the main reason."
15. SB still thinks highly of Minaj: "I think you're the most amazing person you are at what you do… Ain't nobody better than her."