Suge Knight Pleads Not Guilty in Robbery Case
Suge Knight has pleaded not guilty to a robbery charge filed over an incident in which a celebrity photographer accused the Death Row Records founder of stealing her camera.
Knight, 49, appeared in a Los Angeles courtroom Wednesday and had his bail set at $500,000. He was arrested in Las Vegas last week and fell while in jail, and his attorneys said he bruised his head and neck.
Knight and comedian Katt Williams were charged with robbery Oct. 29. Both are charged with taking the photographer's camera in Beverly Hills on Sept. 5. Police say they are still investigating the incident.
Williams, 43, is scheduled to be arraigned in the case on Dec. 24 and faces up to seven years behind bars if convicted. The comedian has starred in several comedy specials and appeared in films such as First Sunday and Friday After Next.
Knight's attorney, James Blatt, said he expected his client to be exonerated in the case and looks forward to presenting it to a jury.
Knight has prior felony convictions for armed robbery and assault with a gun. He pleaded no contest in 1995 and was sentenced to five years' probation for assaulting two rap entertainers at a Hollywood recording studio in 1992.
He faces up 30 years to life in prison if convicted.
Knight was shot and wounded in a West Hollywood, California, nightclub about a week and a half before the incident with the photographer. He founded Death Row Records, one of rap's leading labels in the 1990s, but later declared bankruptcy and the company was auctioned off.
Blatt said Knight would return to Las Vegas, where he was arrested last week and released on bail. Asked about Knight's health, Blatt said, "Mr. Knight honors his commitments and shows up when he's supposed to show up no matter how difficult the circumstances are."