Latin Music Week
Your Guide to 2019's Billboard Latin Music Week
Billboard Sounds Showcase Lineup Features Voz de Mando, Pipe Bueno & More
Here Are All the Artists Performing at the 2019 Billboard Latin Music Awards
Latin Music Week 2019: J Alvarez to Headline Billboard Sounds Showcase, Sponsored by Glad Empire & ASCAP
These 6 Emerging Artists Will Compete for a Dream Gig at Denver's Legendary Red Rocks Amphitheater
It’ll be just like Battle of the Bands – only bigger.
In an effort to support artists on the rise, Southwest Airlines is hunting down six of the most promising musical acts from cities across America and giving them the chance to open for The Fray at the famed Red Rocks Amphitheater in Denver, CO. Dubbed, “Destination: Red Rocks,” the competition will deliver a once-in-a-lifetime performance opportunity for the winning band, and give them the chance to catapult their careers to the next level.
What’s more, as Southwest Airlines' way of thanking the city of Denver, the concert is free to the public and will support the Denver music community by donating to Amp the Cause, a local non-profit organization for children.
Here’s how it will all go down: Southwest Airlines has just selected bands from Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles, Nashville, and Phoenix – more on them in a minute – and each group will have to show their stuff in a “Live at 35” performance video (meaning: a live show at 35,000 feet aboard a Southwest Airlines flight). Then, a small group of music industry experts will select the one band that will receive $5,000 and open duties at the sold-out Destination: Red Rocks show.
So who are the lucky contestants?
1. From Atlanta comes Pony League, bringing a warm, retro-acoustic sound that feels more like California than Georgia, and draws comparisons to Band of Horses.
2. Out of our national’s capital comes Broke Royals, a male duo with a sing-along, arena-ready sound that has likened them to Coldplay.
Guess what we did last month? We played a few songs on a flight to ATL, thanks to an awesome partnership with @southwestair for their #Liveat35 series! Check out Southwest.fm/BrokeRoyals (link in bio) and help us compete for the opening act slot at #DestinationRedRocks with @thefray! (PS: You have to watch the whole video to be able to vote!)
3. Fort Lauderdale brings Edan Archer to the table – an alt-country soloist with a hint of grunge. Commonly associated with Margo Price, Archer is currently hard at work promoting her new EP.
4. The 60s-retro Pom Poms are Los Angeles’ contribution to the competition, bringing a female lead and Elle King vibes to the table.
5. While you might expect Nashville to produce a country act, the heartfelt synth-pop style of The Daybreaks is more akin to Of Monsters and Men than honky-tonk – and the perfect fit for Red Rocks acoustics.
6. Last but not least, Phoenix delivers Sundressed, boasting a classic round sound that smacks of 90s legends, Jimmy Eat World, and a brand-new album released in March.
Who will impress at 35,000 feet and earn passage to one of music’s most hallowed venues? Keep on eye on Southwest Airlines’ Destination: Red Rock to find out.