9 Reasons Why John Mayer Is Our Most Versatile Rocker
While you were worrying about what he was tweeting or who he was dating, John Mayer was not-so-quietly amassing the most versatile resume in rock. In fact, over the past five years, since recovering from vocal cord surgery, the Grammy-winning guitarist has completed one of the most epic, eclectic runs of any artist in the modern rock era. From jamming with the Dead to collaborating with ex Katy Perry, backing Frank Ocean, releasing his own brand of eco-friendly laundry detergent and sitting in with the 2016 Emmy Awards house band, Mayer is living the dream.
Here are nine of his coolest gigs:
1. Backing Ocean on SNL in 2012:
3. Recording "Who You Love" with now-ex Perry for his 2013 folk-influenced album Paradise Valley.
4. Crushing an acoustic cover of Beyoncé's "XO" during his Australian tour in 2014.
5. Duetting with Barbra Streisand on "Come Rain or Come Shine."
6. Filling in for Jerry Garcia on vocals and guitar during a tour with the surviving members of the Grateful Dead.
7. After shouting them out on Snapchat, hooking up with the Laundress for "The Laundress X John Mayer Laundry Detergent and Fabric Fresh," part of the OUT WEST collection inspired by the American West.
8. Sitting in with the house band at Sunday night's (Sept. 18) Emmy Awards
9. Joining the lineup for the first-ever New York edition of the Roots Picnic, Mayer will jam with D'Angelo on a bill that also includes the Wu-Tang Clan, David Byrne and Nile Rodgers, Swizz Beatz, Jeremih, Kevin Gates, X Ambassadors, Trombone Shorty and EPMD.