“1DayLA and The Freedom Experience live concert event showcase the power and beauty of a city coming together,” said Dominic Russo of 1DayLA in a statement. “In the wake of a sustained season of crisis and isolation, people desperately need authentic expressions of hope, help, and love. This will be an unforgettable opportunity to celebrate and dynamically impact communities across Los Angeles.”
According to the statement, Bieber was inspired to join the 1DayLA movement "because of his strong and long-held belief that giving of ourselves in service to others is one of the most important things we can do. Bieber is committed to the powerful idea that a movement for change can start with individuals helping one another and their community."
The release announcing the event said that 1DayLA will invest "tens of thousands" of service hours in hundreds of L.A. County blocks with the help of the more than 10,000 individuals and 600+ organizations that have already committed to participate, with 1DayLA volunteer team members eligible for a special event pass to the "Freedom Experience" show. Among the group's stated goals are:
• Initiative 1 – Transform local faith communities into serve centers.
• Initiative 2 – Abolish $47 million in medical debt across L.A. County.
• Initiative 3 – Give SoCal’s most vulnerable children a safe place to call home.
• Initiative 4 – Reach, rehabilitate and restore L.A.’s inmates.
• Initiative 5 – Lead thousands of homeless into rehabilitation programs.
• Initiative 6 – Ignite a movement of men committed to their families.
• Initiative 7 – Mobilize a historic team.
Check out Bieber's post about the event below.
UPDATE: Chance the Rapper was added to the lineup on July 8.