Simon Cowell Explains Cutting Ties With Little Mix, Calls Them 'The Hardest Working Bunch of Girls I've Ever Worked With'
Simon Cowell has been teamed up with Little Mix since they won The X Factor U.K. in 2011, but over the weekend, the news broke that Cowell's Syco Music was no longer working with the girl group. In a new interview with The Sun published Tuesday (Nov. 13), Cowell told his side of the story, explaining that it was due to a rift with Little Mix's management company over a songwriting credit, not with the girls themselves.
“It was just embarrassing but, funnily enough, I was more annoyed, again, not about me, but about the fact people who had worked so hard in my company were being misrepresented," Cowell said of his issues with Modest Management. "Why do artists think they’re more important than staff members? They’re not. They’re the same."
Cowell further explained the incident, saying, “The irony was the record they were arguing about, which is 'Woman Like Me,' they didn’t want to record. This was one of those ironic times that we were having a hit and nobody was happy.”
"Woman Like Me," featuring Nicki Minaj, is currently climbing the U.K. singles chart, peaking at No. 2 so far. The song also caused drama between Minaj and Cardi B, who argued publicly over which rapper was offered the feature first.
Despite no longer working with Little Mix, Cowell still had good things to say about the girl group. "I can show you all the correspondence between me and the girls over the years," he said. "There’s never been an instance when we’ve fallen out. I stand by the fact they are the hardest working bunch of girls I’ve ever worked with. They deserve everything they’ve got.”