Charlotte Church Claims 'Tyrant' Trump Invited Her to Perform at Inauguration and Her Answer Was 'Bye'

Chris Ratcliffe/Getty Images
Charlotte Church performs in London on Nov. 29, 2015.

British classical pop singer Charlotte Church is the latest artist who claims to have turned down an invitation to perform at president-elect Donald Trump's inauguration.

In a tweet early Tuesday morning (Jan. 10), Church said she has been approached, but that "a simple internet search would show I think you're a tyrant." Her simple response? "Bye."


With 10 days to go before Trump's Jan. 20 inauguration, the 30-year-old former child star who crossed over from singing classical arias as a tween to more mainstream pop as an adult joins a list of other artists who have reportedly said "no" to performing for the real estate billionaire. A glance through Church's Twitter feed from 2016 finds a number of retweets from the singer critical of Trump.

Former Celebrity Apprentice star Trump has said he's not interested in attracting "A-list" celebs to his inaugural festivities, which so far will include appearances from fellow reality TV star Jackie Evancho, Big & Rich, country rapper Cowboy Troy, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and a handful of marching bands. The tweet from Church came shortly after Moby said he was also reportedly asked to DJ at an inaugural ball, a request the proudly liberal EDM star said he'd gladly entertain if "#trump released his tax returns."

Another reality TV singer, Rebecca Ferguson -- who was runner-up in the seventh season of Britain's The X Factor -- said last week that she would perform, but only if Trump's team allowed her to sing "Strange Fruit," the legendary protest song against racism made famous by Billie Holiday. (In other words, no.) Elton John, Gene Simmons, Garth Brooks are among the other artists who have reportedly declined to appear.

A spokesperson for the Trump campaign could not be reached for comment at press time.

President Donald Trump Inauguration