Demi Lovato Explains Why She & Selena Gomez Aren't Friends Anymore
Demi Lovato covers Complex, and in the accompanying Q&A, she talks about everything from body confidence to boyfriend Wilmer Valderrama to the fact that she's no longer friends with Selena Gomez (something that isn't exactly new news).
Five of the biggest revelations below.
1. When asked if Gomez and her are talking these days, she replies simply, "Nope." When pressed if -- as rumored -- their fallout has to do with Lovato not liking Justin Bieber, Lovato shared, "He’s actually a nice guy. I don’t really know him that well, but he seems to have grown up. He looks like he’s maturing. But, you know, when you’re young and you get older, you change and people change. You have things in common, and then all of a sudden, you don’t. It’s just a part of life."
2. How Jennifer Lopez sparked Iggy Azalea and Lovato's friendship: "We met at Jennifer Lopez’s Halloween party....We start talking, and it turns out that we’re neighbors and we didn’t even know. Then I saw her at all the Jingle Ball shows. Then we got to actually hang, and we just became close. She’s so awesome. She’s very, very, very real. What you see is what you get. I think sometimes that pushes people away, but that’s what I admire about her. She’s the furthest thing from fake."
3. On boyfriend Wilmer Valderrama: "He’s very, very family. We have been together for almost five years now, off and on. The only times that we were off was when I was not in a healthy state of mind, or he was like: “I can’t be with you until you get sober. I can’t enable what you’re doing right now.” Or with food: “You need to get your food settled before you can get into a relationship. You need to learn how to love yourself first.” So I did, and then that made our relationship so much stronger."
4. On buzzy, sexy single "Cool For The Summer": "Yeah. The song literally sounds nothing like “I Kissed a Girl.” Well, I used the word “cherry.” How dare I use that word. It’s definitely not a rip-off of anything."
5. Thoughts about the Grammys: "I want the Grammy committee to hear [new song "Stone Cold"] so that one day they can see that—I know that I’m capable of getting there. I just want people to see it finally. When I say getting there, I don’t mean winning one. I just want to be nominated for one. You can’t go higher than the Grammys in the music industry. That was a huge goal for this album. I watched the Grammy nominations last year and I was like, “I want to be there so bad.” It really gave me that kick in the ass to make music that was worthy of it. This is a song that I feel like is worthy of notification."
Read the full Q&A with Complex here.