1. Some sort of performance. The status of Miley Cyrus’ follow-up to 2013’s Bangerz is still unknown, but that might change after she hosts the MTV Video Music Awards (or, before she returns to host Saturday Night Live this fall). Even if Cyrus does not have a new single to tout next week, she needs to Pitbull it up and perform something at the awards show she is hosting. Maybe “#GetItRight”? How about “See You Again (Rock Mafia Remix)”? Give us something, Miley!
2. A 2013 twerking callback. The infamous performance of “We Can’t Stop” at the 2013 Video Music Awards helped seal Cyrus’ fate as the unabashed pop star of the moment. This momentous event needs to be acknowledged/toasted/thrown back to! Speaking of which…
3. Robin Thicke Redemption. Look, Mr. “Blurred Lines” has had a pretty rough 18 months after ruling the summer of 2013. Dude needs to put on his Beetlejuice suit, shimmy onstage and start getting in on the joke instead of being the butt of it. Remember when Paul Reubens opened the Video Music Awards in 1991 with “Heard any good jokes lately?”? That should be Thicke’s blueprint.
4. Lots of charity information. As memorable as Cyrus’ 2013 twerk-a-thon was, her decision to send a homeless youth onstage in 2014 to collect her Video of the Year award for “Wrecking Ball” was actually meaningful. Expect Cyrus to plug her Happy Hippie foundation and raise awareness to her noble cause through the 2015 telecast — as she should.
5. Skits! Anyone who has seen Cyrus host SNL or do practically anything on social media knows that the pop star has some seriously strong comedy chops. The worst thing Cyrus could do as a VMAs host would be to defer to everyone else; she needs to take charge and appear in a half-dozen sketches, because at least three or four of them will be uproarious. The Miley stays in the picture, and everyone stays happy.