Selena Gomez Fan on Being a Selenator: 'She Is Far Different From Any Ordinary Celebrity'
Besides her music, Gomez has taken her role-model status seriously, whether it's sending encouraging messages to fans on social media, visiting hospitals or getting awards for her public service.
Check out just a few of the things that have stood out to us over the years, and add yours in the comments section below.
1. Gomez has granted so many Make-A-Wish requests that the organization gave her a special award. Check out a video montage of the accomplishment below.
2. Gomez is a regular social-media encourager with her most loyal fans online. They send her encouragement and she gives it right back.
3. A UNICEF ambassador since 2009, Gomez has held charity concert events as well as traveled extensively around the world raising awareness and funds and promoting involvement.
4. How's this for heartwarming? While filming the Wizards of Waverly Place movie in Puerto Rico, she was upset to learn about the amount of stray and abandoned dogs lining the beaches.
As she recalled to People at the time: "It broke my heart, going to work every day and not being able to do anything [so] my mom and I researched organizations that could help us do something about all the animals," says Gomez, who discovered Island Dog (www.islanddog.org), an organization that rescues adoptable stray dogs in Puerto Rico and other islands in the Caribbean. The non-profit also feeds, medicates and cares for the animals it can't afford to keep in shelters. Moved by their mission, Selena hosted a volunteer event on March 7 near San Juan that helped raise $17,000. "We were vaccinating the dogs and rubbing oil on their backs so they don't get fleas," says Gomez, who also filmed an educational video to shed light on the situation. "We got to feed them and play with them. It was sweet and heartbreaking at the same time." Naturally, she even adopted one to bring home as well!
5. Gomez is no stranger to making surprise hospital visits for fans, but as an ambassador for the Ryan Seacrest Foundation, she upped her participation even more. Cue cute kids asking her questions about her dating life.