Selena Gomez's 5 Most Inspiring Moments
In honor of hopefully more Selena in our future, we're looking back at some of our favorite moments between the caring star and her fans.
In an essay explaining why they support her as part of Billboard's Fan Army contest, Selenators wrote, in part, "Honestly, we wouldn’t be the people we are today if she didn’t come into our lives, because she taught us so much in life. She taught us how to feel beautiful, how to love ourselves, how to RESPECT and HELP others, because strong people lift others up, and never bring them down. She taught us that we are perfect EXACTLY the way we are and we shouldn’t change for ANYONE, she taught us that what makes you DIFFERENT is what makes you BEAUTIFUL. She just taught us all the things that no one cared to tell and most importantly… She INSPIRED us, and these are the reason why we love Selena Gomez."
1. Gomez has granted so many Make-A-Wish requests that the organization gave her a special award. Check out a video montage of the accomplishment below.
2. Gomez is a regular social-media encourager with her most loyal fans online. They send her encouragement and she gives it right back.
3. A UNICEF ambassador since 2009, Gomez has held charity concert events as well as traveled extensively around the world raising awareness and funds and promoting involvement.
4. How's this for heartwarming? While filming the Wizards of Waverly Place movie in Puerto Rico, she was upset to learn about the amount of stray and abandoned dogs lining the beaches.
As she recalled to People at the time: "It broke my heart, going to work every day and not being able to do anything [so] my mom and I researched organizations that could help us do something about all the animals," says Gomez, who discovered Island Dog (www.islanddog.org), an organization that rescues adoptable stray dogs in Puerto Rico and other islands in the Caribbean. The non-profit also feeds, medicates and cares for the animals it can't afford to keep in shelters. Moved by their mission, Selena hosted a volunteer event on March 7 near San Juan that helped raise $17,000. "We were vaccinating the dogs and rubbing oil on their backs so they don't get fleas," says Gomez, who also filmed an educational video to shed light on the situation. "We got to feed them and play with them. It was sweet and heartbreaking at the same time." Naturally, she even adopted one to bring home as well!
5. Gomez is no stranger to making surprise hospital visits for fans, but as an ambassador for the Ryan Seacrest Foundation, she upped her participation even more. Cue cute kids asking her questions about her dating life.