Everything We Know (So Far) About Lady Gaga's Upcoming Album
Anybody else suddenly feel a need to just dance?
Lady Gaga's debut album The Fame dropped today (August 19) in 2008. That's right: Everyone's favorite provocateur turned pop star turned respected vocal talent turned Tony Bennett bestie has been rocking around in leotards and extravagant hair accouterments for seven years -- and while we've loved all her different iterations, we're most excited for what comes next.
Since wrapping her Cheek to Cheek tour with Bennett earlier this month, Gaga appears to be going full steam ahead with work on her solo follow-up to 2013's ARTPOP. Two weeks ago, she captioned a close-up photo of herself with "LG5 Time," which fans took to mean work on her fifth studio album was beginning in earnest. Social media message cracked! Thank goodness! (LG5 also seems to suggest that ARTPOP Part 2, an idea she floated last year, seems to have died.)
Below, speculation abounds as we round up all the nuggets so far about what Gaga's fifth album might look and sound like.
1. Gaga sent hearts aflutter back in January when she confirmed she was back in the studio with RedOne, her co-writer for some of her biggest early hits, including "Poker Face" and "Bad Romance." “We took a little break from each other and now it feels like we are in a good place, both of us. She did her thing, I did my thing, and it feels like we’re back on track together,” RedOne said to The National. “With Gaga, I’m fully committed until we’re done -- we’re just going to work on writing songs -- 20, 30, 40 songs -- until we get hopefully the best album of the decade.” We could get into that.
2. She's been a pop princess and a jazz siren -- is disco queen next? The Internet certainly seemed to think so this week, following a Gaga Instagram of herself rocking out to what sounds like a Gaga cover of Andrea True Connection's 1976 hit "More, More, More." (Actually, it doesn't sound too far off from Babes In Toyland's rock version of the hit.) "Off to work!" she captioned the tease.
3. While studio time may be increasing, her manager told Billboard earlier this year that no album would be forthcoming until 2016 -- which makes sense. In addition to touring, she's had American Horror Story commitments. (Fans will be able to see her on the buzzy show beginning in October.)
4. We all love a break-up album, but if regular lovey-dovey social media messages are any indication, LG5 may be more love story than "Poker Face" thanks to the inspiration of her hunky new fiance (and "You & I" video star) Taylor Kinney. Start preparing for chills now.
5. We can dream for an Adele collaboration, right?