Watch Natalie Imbruglia Channel a 'Dark Stepford Wives' Vibe for Daft Punk Cover
Natalie Imbruglia has been out of the limelight for a while. Indeed, it’s been six years since the release of her last album, 2009's Come to Life. And a mind-numbing 18 years since she had a global hit with “Torn.” The Aussie soap actress-turned-pop singer is about to have another tilt, with a new album Male set to drop Aug. 21.
The album's tracklist includes covers of songs recorded by Cat Stevens, Damien Rice, Tom Petty, Pete Townsend and Zac Brown Band and the first track lifted from it is an alternative take on Daft Punk’s "Instant Crush.” Its Mad Men inspired video can be seen below.
Imbruglia praises the clip’s director Joe Stephenson as an “immense talent. I fell in love with his treatment. The dark Stepford wives vibe, and his reference of Gregory Crewdson’s photography. Such beautiful colors and mood. It’s so cinematic and gives the song a whole new dimension.”
The original version of "Instant Crush" appeared on Daft Punk's hit 2013 album Random Access Memories, and featured vocals from the Strokes’ Julian Casablancas.
According to Sony Music, Imbruglia will support her new album with a worldwide tour starting in late 2015.
“Male” track listing:
1. "Instant Crush" (original artist Daft Punk)
2. "Cannonball" (original artist Damien Rice)
3. "The Summer" (original artist Josh Pyke)
4. "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" (original artist Death Cab For Cutie)
5. "Goodbye In His Eyes" (original artist Zac Brown Band)
6. "Friday I’m In Love" (original artist The Cure)
7. "Naked As We Came" (original artist Iron & Wine)
8. "Let My Love Open The Door" (original artist Pete Townsend)
9. "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" (original artist Neil Young)
10. "I Melt With You" (original artist Modern English)
11. "The Waiting" (original artist Tom Petty)
12. "The Wind" (original artist Cat Stevens)