'Oops!...I Did It Again' Turns 15: 5 Behind-the-Scenes Secrets From Britney Spears' Video
Picture it: It's the year 2000. It's been a few glorious years since you saw Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet in Titanic. Your VHS copy of the blockbuster is worn out. You're still searching your high school for a love as real as theirs (minus the ending).
What you really need at this moment in time is a catchy-as-heck pop song with an extended call-out to the romance of the blockbuster.
Britney Spears heard your pleas, and she delivered with one of the most iconic pop songs of her reign (and the decade). "Oops!...I Did It Again" was released to radio 15 years ago today (March 27), and it has made galactic travel in a red leather jumpsuit look both feasible and appealing ever since.
The dance moves were fun, the hairpiece envy-inducing, and the song the perfect flirty earworm. The tune peaked at No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, and Spears received a Grammy nom for Best Pop Vocal Performance for the track.
In honor of the anniversary (as well as Flashback Friday), we re-watched the Making the Video episode for Spears' first single off her sophomore release and re-remembered some behind-the-scenes scoop.
1. Fans may mostly recall the dance steps, but Brit also related what she saw as the message of the track. "The song is basically about a girl and all these guys fall in love with her and she just can't have it," an 18-year-old Spears explained at the time. "When I meet a guy that I'm seriously attracted to, I get butterflies in my stomach, total brain fart, I don't know what to say. That's what I like about this song. It's really honest and fun to perform. ... This whole idea was my idea. I was like, 'I want to be on Mars, dancing on Mars.'"
2. The video is directed by the legendary Nigel Dick. "Oops" marked the fourth time they worked together, following "...Baby One More Time," "(You Drive Me) Crazy" and "Sometimes," all from her debut album. "Oops" was the last time the two collaborated.
3. The iconic catsuit was made by costume designer Michael Bush during an all-nighter the evening before the shoot began -- per Brit's orders, as she thought a catsuit was necessary. (It totally was.)
4. "You know the first Austin Powers with Elizabeth Hurley, her hair is so big and long and sexy?" Spears said to Bush during the shoot. "I want that, but not too over-the-top because the choreography is really hard, and the song in itself is already really sexy."
5. Britney has always been all about boys! Toward the end of the Making the Video episode, a goofy Spears declares with a laugh about the sexy backup dancers, "I don't know their names but they're hotties, though! I don't mind looking at them!"
Watch again below; be sure to note the over-the-top eye makeup, and, of course, the album-cover plug on a rock found on Mars.