Of course, Azalea's presence on Twitter has long been a disruptive one. Since the beginning of her rise to pop stardom, the Australian artist has unflinchingly used Twitter as a platform to respond to negativity, dish out explanations and make private disagreements public. Vulture recently posted an in-depth look at the history of Azalea's various controversies, but since she might not be personally tweeting for a while, let's look back at five of Iggy's most memorable Twitter flare-ups:
Billboard Winterfest: Iggy Azalea Talks 2015 Tour, Next Album
1. June 2013: Offensive Jokes Unearthed. As Iggy Azalea was preparing to launch her debut album and introducing herself to more hip-hop fans, some crafty Twitter users went through the rapper's old tweets and found some unsavory jokes made beginning in 2010 (examples: "Just saw 5 black men get arrested out the front of popeyes. #damn #stereotypes" and "When guys whisper in each others ears I always think its kinda homo"). A Tumblr page collecting these tweets has since been made, with over 100,000 views since March 2014.
When the tweets were being circulated in June 2013, Azalea defended her words in a series of Twitter posts (via ThatGrapeJuice): "There was once a time when I could crack jokes, talk about tv shows or whos record i hate and whos i loved etc. on twitter. i cant do that now. in part because you guys would make life a nightmare and in part because it would just be unprofessional. but remember there was a time when my twitter was just for my friends and family to see. just like yours probably is now. anyhow - to me, i feel like what you guys are doing is really unfair. thats my opinion. right now in 2013."
2. November 2014: Iggy Fires Back at Eminem's 'Rape' Lyric. On a Bad Meets Evil song, "Vegas," Eminem was up to his old misogynistic shenanigans and rapped, "You're lucky just to follow my ride/ If I let you run alongside the Humvee/ Unless you're Nicki, grab you by the wrist, let's ski/ So what's it gon' be/ Put that shit away, Iggy/ You don't wanna blow that rape whistle on me." Azalea responded to the line with an eye-roll toward the 42-year-old rap icon:
"Its especially akward because my 14 year old brother is the biggest eminem fan and now the artist he admired says he wants to rape me. nice!" Azalea continued.
3. December 2014: Iggy Finally Cracks, Torches Azealia Banks. After months and months of sworn Iggy enemy Azealia Banks calling out Azalea in various Twitter posts and interviews, Iggy would only acknowledge the "212" rapper and their explicit beef with a perceived subtweet. That all changed on Dec. 19, 2014 -- one day after Banks repeatedly bashed Azalea during a Hot 97 interview focusing on Eric Garner and U.S. race relations -- when Azalea finally mentioned Banks by name, in a string of scathing tweets.
"Your inability to be responsible for your own mistakes, bullying others, the inability to be humble or have self control. It's YOU!" Azalea wrote to Banks. "You created your own unfortunate situation by being a bigot and don't have the mental capacity to realize yet. Probably never will." Iggy went on to call Banks "poisonous," "miserable" and "angry."
4. December 2014: Iggy Brushes Off Q-Tip's "History Lesson." The veteran and widely respected MC Q-Tip fired off a lengthy Twitter speech directed at Azalea, congenially advising the "Fancy" star to respect the African-American origins of hip-hop music as she moves forward with her career. "You have to take into account the HISTORY as you move underneath the banner of hiphop," Q-Tip offered, later adding, "I say this in the spirit of a hopeful healthy dialogue that maybe one day we can continue."
For her part, Azalea responded to Q-Tip's words on Twitter by suggesting that she never needed them. "Most people learn every and anything they can about the subjects they are passionate about, I'm no different," she wrote. "I find it patronizing to assume i have no knowledge of something I'm influenced by, but I've also grown up with strangers assuming that. so its completely fine and I'm used to it by now. i don't lose any sleep over it. im also not going to sit on twitter & play hip hop squares with strangers to somehow prove i deserve to be a fan of or influenced by hiphop."
5. February 2015: The Papa John's Incident. You'd think that Feb. 8, 2015, would be a memorable day for Azalea already, being her first Grammy Awards, where she was nominated of best new artist and had "Fancy" up for record of the year. Yet Azalea made headlines on that day earlier this month by… beefing with the pizzeria chain Papa John's, after she had her personal information jacked by a delivery man.
"@PapaJohns was my favorite pizza but the drivers they use give out your personal phone number to their family members," Azalea posted. "And the supervisors at @PapaJohns refuse to send pictures of their employess so you can identify who it is that steals your information." The fight against Papa John's spilled over into the following day, with Azalea declaring, "I want answers @papajohns why is customer confidentiality a joke to your company?" After making light of the situation at first, the pizza chain eventually apologized to Azalea for the lack of professionalism.