1. She has big, current hits. Teenage Dream spawned a record-tying five No. 1 singles, and last year's PRISM already has four Top 20 hits ("Roar," "Unconditionally," "Dark Horse," "Birthday"), with new single "This Is How We Do" currently striding up the Hot 100 chart. While Bruno Mars' halftime show in February had a relatively predictable set list, the breadth of Perry's pop reign makes it hard to pin down which smashes she would trot out. "California Gurls"? "Hot N Cold"? "Firework"? They're all fair game, and all universally memorized.
2. She's internationally popular. A global event like the Super Bowl deserves a performer whose reach extends worldwide, and Perry has been touring as an international headliner since 2011. And guess who has the most Twitter followers -- 55.4 million -- out of anyone in the world? A Katy Perry Super Bowl performance won't be hurting for viewers.
Who Should Perform at Next Year's Super Bowl? Vote Now!
3. She's family-friendly. Following Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" in 2004, the Super Bowl halftime show became a platform for Older Men Whose Nipples You Would Not Want To See Anyway -- Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, U2. In 2011, the kids were finally given a youthful performer in the Black Eyed Peas, and since then, the halftime show has skewed young while cautiously offering artists that have largely avoided controversy in recent years (Madonna, Beyonce, Bruno Mars). Perry is right in the Super Bowl's wheelhouse, then: a hit-maker with no real cause for concern amongst parents (except, of course, when she appears on Sesame Street).
4. She's currently on an eye-popping tour. Here's where Perry has a leg-up on other possible performers like Taylor Swift or the Foo Fighters: the Prismatic tour is already up and running, with a spectacular stage set-up and fairly positive reviews. That's not a necessity for a Super Bowl performer -- Beyonce and Madonna launched tours after their halftime shows -- but it's a nice bonus that Perry already has a proven formula she can bring in Glendale.
5. She has a big gap in her tour dates around the Super Bowl. The Prismatic tour breaks for six weeks: after wrapping up for 2014 on Dec. 20 in Auckland, New Zealand, Perry resumes on Feb. 16, 2015 in Barcelona. The Super Bowl is on Feb. 1, 2015. Hmmmmmm.