As for the most recent Billboard 200-topper to run longer than Donda, you only have to go back two years, to Chris Brown's 2019 double album Indigo -- which ran over 113 minutes in its 30-track physical edition. And in 2021 alone, there have been two other No. 1s that also run comfortably into double-disc territory, in Taylor Swift's Fearless (Taylor's Version) (106:18) and Morgan Wallen's Dangerous: The Double Album (96:53).
Here are the ten longest No. 1 albums of the 21st century so far -- not counting box sets, compilations, live albums, or other sets consisting mostly of non-original material:
1. OutKast, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (2003, 134 minutes and 39 seconds)
2. UGK, Underground Kingz (2007, 129:09)
3. 2Pac, Until the End of Time (2001, 124:05)
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stadium Arcadium (2006, 122:25)
5. Chris Brown, Indigo (2019, 113:25)
6. Jay-Z, The Blueprint 2: The Gift and the Curse (2001, 112:02)
7. Kanye West, Donda (2021, 108:49)
8. Taylor Swift, Fearless (Taylor's Version) (2021, 106:20)
9. Migos, Culture II (2018, 106:18)
10. Morgan Wallen, Dangerous: The Double Album (2021, 96:53)
(Though none of his albums appear on the list of the ten longest this century, the artist with the most No. 1 albums over 80 minutes -- meaning they would've necessitated a second disc in the CD era -- is West's recent sparring partner Drake, with three: Views (2016, 81:14), More Life (2017, 81:42) and Scorpion (89:44). With the exceptional early performance of his new set, the 86:02-long Certified Lover Boy, he also appears headed towards adding a fourth to that tally with next week's chart.)
In addition to Kanye's presence on this list of the century's longest Billboard 200-besting albums, he's also even more visible on the list of the shortest. Both of Kanye's two prior No. 1 albums, Jesus Is King (2019, 27:04) and Ye (2018, 23:41) are among the 10 shortest sets to top the chart since 2000 -- though they're both still comfortably longer than the very briefest of the bunch, XXXTENTACION's posthumous Skins (2018, 19:44).
Most of the shortest albums of this century come from the past half-decade, as the streaming era (and accompanying decline of physical media) has allowed artists to be freer with shorter set lengths, without necessarily having to worry about justifying the price tag of a full new album. However, a couple EPs and mini-LPs of the '00s and early '10s also clock in well short of a half-hour, including Linkin Park and Jay-Z's experimental mashup one-off Collision Course (2004, 21:15) and Glee Cast's season-finale soundtrack Glee: The Music, Journey to Regionals (2010, 22:38).
Here are the ten shortest No. 1 albums of the 21st century:
1. XXXTENTACION, Skins (2018, 19 minutes and 44 seconds)
2. Jay-Z/Linkin Park, Collision Course (2004, 21:15)
3. JACKBOYS, JACKBOYS (2020, 21:22)
4. The Weeknd, My Dear Melancholy, (2018, 21:50)
5. Glee Cast, Glee: The Music, Journey to Regionals (2010, 22:38)
6. Kanye West, Ye (2018, 23:41)
7. SuperM, SuperM (2019, 24:57)
8. BTS, Map of the Soul: Persona (2019, 26:05)
9. Justin Bieber, Never Say Never: The Remixes (2011, 26:47)
10. Kanye West, Jesus Is King (2019, 27:04)
Additional research by Joe Lynch.