Mac Miller's Cause Of Death Determined as Accidental Overdose Of Cocaine and Fentanyl
Three months after Mac Miller died of a suspected overdose, the Los Angeles County Coroner's office released the official toxicology report on the 26 year-old rapper on Monday (Nov. 5), which found that he died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, cocaine and alcohol. The coroner determined that Miller's death was accidental due to "mixed drug toxicity" from what was deemed "recreational" drug usage.
According to the report, Miller (born Malcolm McCormick), was found face down and unresponsive in his Studio City, California, home on Sept. 7, and is described as having suffered blunt trauma to his head, with a quarter-inch abrasion on the bridge of his nose, and blood in his right nostril. Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene. Miller had released his fifth studio album, Swimming, a month earlier, and had reportedly watched football with friends the night before his death.
Miller had been open about his struggles with substance abuse and was arrested for DUI in May of this year, a week after his split with girlfriend Ariana Grande was revealed; the L.A. city attorney later announced that the DUI charges would be dropped.
The rapper's legacy was celebrated last week in Los Angeles with an all-star concert benefiting the Mac Miller Circles Fund, with sets from SZA, Travis Scott, Ty Dolla $ign, John Mayer, Anderson .Paak, Miguel and many more. Miller death was the latest high-profile death of a musician tied to an overdose of powerful synthetic opioid fentanyl, which over the past year has been tied to the deaths of Tom Petty, Prince and Lil Peep.