Trey Songz Charged With Punching Police Officer After Detroit Concert

Trey Songz was arrested after his concert in Detroit on Wednesday night (Dec. 28), police confirmed to Billboard.

The Grammy-nominated R&B singer was charged with a felony count of assault on a police officer causing injury and misdemeanor aggravated assault, according to a news release from Michigan's Wayne County prosecutor's office.

The 32 year old, whose legal name is Tremaine Neverson, is accused of punching a police sergeant in the head, causing a concussion, after the officer entered his dressing room to arrest him. 

The singer was arraigned Thursday (Dec. 29) and released after posting bond. He has a court date next Thursday (Jan. 5).

Videos posted online show Songz tearing down parts of the stage at Joe Louis Arena and throwing objects when the venue cut off his microphone and lights after asking him to wrap up his set.

"He became irate and belligerent, and started throwing microphones, speakers, basically anything he could get his hands on," police said.

Earlier, Songz had been asked to end his "Big Show at the Joe" performance, at which point he declared to the audience: "If that happens, I love you no matter what. All I want to do is give you the best show I'm capable of giving ... If they cut me off … I'm going the f--- crazy." He then starts singing: "Go on and do it. Go on and cut me off."

Assault on a police officer causing injury is punishable by up to four years in prison and a fine up to $5,000, and the misdemeanor charge of aggravated assault is punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine up to $1,000, according to the prosecutor's office.

Songz retweeted a fan-shot video with the caption, "They turned off his mic so he fsu'd," and video shot from the side of the stage shows the singer pulling down parts of the backdrop. His mugshot, which features a smiling Songz, also surfaced online.

Ladies are you here for #TreySongz mugshot? --

A photo posted by The Shade Room (@theshaderoom) on