Country

Maren Morris, Mickey Guyton & More Artists React to Morgan Wallen Using N-Word

Morgan Wallen
Terry Wyatt/Getty Images for CMA

Morgan Wallen performs onstage at Nashville’s Music City Center for “The 54th Annual CMA Awards” broadcast on Nov.11, 2020 in Nashville.

After TMZ obtained video of Morgan Wallen yelling the N-word and other expletives, Big Loud Records suspended his recording contract "indefinitely," major radio stations removed his music, and his peers in the music industry have spoken up.

Female country artists Mickey Guyton, Kelsea Ballerini and Maren Morris called him out for using the racial slur against Black Americans, which was caught on video Jan. 31. Morris and Guyton claimed that this wasn't Wallen's first offense specifically regarding the N-word, while Morris, Ballerini and Leah Turner explained how the consequences would have been worse had a female artist done the same thing.

Cassadee Pope shared her anger in an Instagram post, explaining that she was "completely disgusted" by his words. "It has no place in country music and has been tolerated and enabled way too long," she wrote. "And it has NO place in this world."

While Wallen's male country music peers have mostly been silent on the issue,  Tyler Hubbard, Jason Isbell and Justin Fabus are among those who have spoken up. Hubbard of Florida Georgia Line did so by responding to The Voice season three champ Pope's post, simply writing, "Amen."

As for Isbell, he responded to a fan on Twitter who wanted his take: "Wallen’s behavior is disgusting and horrifying. I think this is an opportunity for the country music industry to give that spot to somebody who deserves it, and there are lots of black artists who deserve it."

Wallen, who had been touted as country music's next potential global superstar,  has apologized in a statement to TMZ, saying: "I’m embarrassed and sorry. I used an unacceptable and inappropriate racial slur that I wish I could take back. There are no excuses to use this type of language, ever. I want to sincerely apologize for using the word. I promise to do better.”

In an unattributed statement posted to its Twitter and Instagram accounts, Big Loud wrote, "In the wake of recent events, Big Loud Records has made the decision to suspend Morgan Wallen's recording contract indefinitely. Republic Records fully supports Big Loud's decision and agrees such behavior will not be tolerated."

"In light of Morgan Wallen’s recent actions involving the use of a racial slur, we have made the decision to remove his music and content from our stations effective immediately," a spokesperson for iHeartMedia, the largest radio station group in the country, told Billboard.

Similarly, an Entercom representative told Billboard, "In light of Morgan Wallen’s recent use of a racial slur, we’ve discussed the incident with our country brand leadership team and together have made the decision to remove Morgan’s music from Entercom’s playlists."

See stars' reactions to Wallen's actions below.