13 Things to Know About the Charts This Week: Mariah Carey, Andy Williams & More Dash Up Hot 100
Plus, chart action for XXXTentacion, "Despacito" & more.
If you haven't finished your holiday shopping yet, good luck going into any store this weekend. This week's Billboard charts are likewise bustling with holiday activity, as several seasonal songs surge on the Billboard Hot 100 and other surveys.
Plus, browse the top songs, albums and more of the past year in all of 2018's year-end charts.
Meanwhile, here are 13 things to know about the latest rankings (dated Dec. 22).
1. Mariah Carey now has the biggest holiday hit on the Hot 100 in 60 years, as "All I Want for Christmas Is You" jingles to No. 6. "This is the star on top of my Christmas tree," Carey beamed to Billboard.
2. Andy Williams hits a new Hot 100 high and The Ronettes take a sleigh ride back to the chart after a 52-year absence. Click here for this week's Hot 100 Chart Moves.
3. Atop the Hot 100, Ariana Grande's "Thank U, Next" rules for a fifth week, while Halsey's "Without Me" rises to No. 2. Click here for a recap of the Hot 100's top 10.
5, Late rapper XXXTentacion's album Skins debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard 200. Click here for a rundown of the chart's top 10.
6. What were the biggest concerts in each U.S. state in 2018? Billboard Boxscore chart manager Eric Frankenberg has compiled an extensive musical map. Click here to take a touring chart road trip.
7. Nicki Minaj reached 100 career Hot 100 hits, "Despacito" and "Meant to Be" logged unprecedented No. 1 reigns and Drake set record after record. Click here for the year in chart achievements, from BTS to Cardi B and more.
8. Speaking of "Despacito," Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee's smash, featuring Justin Bieber, tallies a milestone 100th week on the Hot Latin Songs chart.
9. On this week's Billboard Chart Beat Podcast, Gary Trust and Trevor Anderson recap each year-end No. 1 Hot 100 hit since 1990, by Usher, Beyonce, guest Flo Rida and more. Click here to listen.
10. Last week, Gary and Trevor time-traveled through every year-end Hot 100 No. 1 from the chart's start in 1958 through 1989, from The Beatles to Prince and more. Click here to listen.
11. On the last new Pop Shop Podcast of 2018 with Keith Caulfield and Katie Atkinson, guest Dan Smith of Bastille discusses how the "super-personal" message of the band's hit "Happier," with Marshmello, has struck a chord. Click here to listen.
12. In celebration of the influential career of Penny Marshall, who passed away Monday (Dec. 17), we look back at how the stars of the ABC sitcom Laverne & Shirley hit the charts, as did the show's legendary theme song. Click here for the tribute.
13. It's been 20 years, and we can still remember … the 1998 year-end charts, when the Titanic soundtrack finished as king of the Billboard 200.