13 Things to Know About the Charts This Week: R&B/Hip-Hop, 'Despacito' & Ed Sheeran Rule 2017 Nielsen Music Lists
Cardi B enjoys another massive week on the Billboard Hot 100, joining The Beatles and Ashanti as only the third act to chart their first three Hot 100 entries in the top 10 simultaneously. Plus, Ed Sheeran and Beyoncé's "Perfect" rules for a fourth week, helping Sheeran return to No. 1 on the Billboard Artist 100 for a seventh total frame.
Here are 13 other things to know about the charts this week:
1. Nielsen Music's year-end reports reveal that, in 2017, R&B/hip-hop was the year's most popular genre for the first time. Click here for details.
2. More Nielsen news: Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee's "Despacito," featuring Justin Bieber, was the most-streamed song of 2017 in the U.S., tallying a whopping 1.3 billion streams. Click here to read the report.
3. Even more Nielsen news: Sheeran's ÷ (Divide) is the top album of 2017 in the U.S., earning 2.7 million total equivalent album units. Kendrick Lamar's DAMN. finished second. Click here for the report.
4. Even more Nielsen news: Vinyl album sales in the U.S. hit a record high in 2017, selling 14.32 million copies and accounting for 14 percent of all physical album sales. Click here to read the post.
5. On the latest Hot 100, Dua Lipa's "New Rules" rises 13-12, reaching a new peak. She's one of four women in lead roles, along with Camila Cabello, Beyoncé and Halsey, each in the top four on the Pop Songs chart, a feat that women hadn't accomplished in over three years. Click here to read this week's Hot 100 Chart Moves.
6. Elsewhere on the Hot 100, Takeoff becomes the third and final member of Migos to score a solo entry, joining Quavo and Offset. Takeoff debuts at No. 65 as a featured artist on Huncho Jack's "Eye 2 Eye." Click here to read the full story.
7. On the Billboard 200, Nat King Cole collects his first top 40 album in over 50 years, as The Christmas Song climbs to No. 29. Plus, Frank Sinatra extends his record for the most top 40-charting albums (58), as Ultimate Christmas rises 45-30. Click here to read this week's Billboard 200 Chart Moves.
8. Looking ahead to next week's Billboard 200, The Greatest Showman soundtrack is aiming for No. 1. The album would mark the first soundtrack to top the chart since Fifty Shades Darker in March 2017. Click here to read the forecast.
9. For the first time in the Hot Latin Songs chart's 31-year history, English-language artists fill the top five, thanks to the debut of Ozuna and Cardi B's "La Modelo" at No. 3. Bieber, Beyoncé, Demi Lovato and Nicki Minaj also rank in the region. Click here to read the article.
10. Lil Xan leaps from No. 10 to a new No. 5 high on the Emerging Artists chart, thanks to his breakthrough single "Betrayed." Plus, LANCO returns to No. 1 for a fifth week on top. Click here for this week's Emerging Artists recap.
11. Imagine Dragons and Khalid's "Thunder/Young, Dumb & Broke" medley debuts at No. 4 on the Hot Rock Songs chart. The track is a studio version of their performance at the American Music Awards on Nov. 19. Click here for the story.
12. Guns N' Roses' Not in This Lifetime…Tour surpassed the $475 million mark in gross sales and now ranks as the fourth-highest-grossing tour of all time, according to Billboard Boxscore. Click here to read about the achievement.
13. In the latest edition of "Ask Billboard," we look at readers' favorite songs, albums and concerts of 2017, along with some of our personal picks. Click here for the mailbag.