13 Things to Know About the Charts This Week: Taylor Swift Blasts to No. 1 on Hot 100 With Year's Best Weekly Streams & Sales
Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do" skyrockets to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, notching the best weekly streaming and sales sums of 2017. The song dethrones Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee's "Despacito," featuring Justin Bieber, after a record-tying 16 weeks at No. 1. The surge also helps Swift return to the top of the Billboard Artist 100, extending her record for most total weeks (32) atop the ranking.
Here are 13 other things to know about Billboard's charts this week:
1. So long, summer! As the season comes to a close, "Despacito" is officially the No. 1 Song of the Summer, having ruled the Songs of the Summer chart every week between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Click here for this year's final summery summary.
2. Along with Swift's vault to No. 1 on the Hot 100, Logic's "1-800-273-8255," featuring Alessia Cara and Khalid, bounds to the top 10 (29-9), aided by buzz generated by the acts' performance of the song at the MTV Video Music Awards Aug. 27. Click here to read the full article.
3. Also on the Hot 100, Liam Payne earns his first solo top 10, as "Strip That Down," featuring Quavo, hits No. 10. Billboard looks at One Direction, The Beatles and other elite groups with at least three members each that have achieved solo Hot 100 top 10s. Click here to read the full article.
4. Even more Hot 100 action! Portugal. The Man's "Feel It Still" hits the top 20. Plus, Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You" falls from the top 10 for the first time after a record-setting 33-week run in the region, although it earns a rare honor on the Adult Contemporary chart. Click here to read this week's Hot 100 Chart Moves.
5. On the latest Billboard 200, Plus, Logic's Everybody vaults 29-11, following the rapper's VMAs performance. Plus, Chris Stapleton collects his second half-million-selling album, as his From A Room: Volume 1 surpasses 500,000 sold in the latest tracking frame. Click here to read this week's Billboard 200 Chart Moves.
7. On the latest Chart Beat Podcast, Gary Trust and Trevor Anderson discuss Taylor Swift's return and whether she has a case for becoming the (charts-based) artist of the decade. Click here to listen to the full podcast.
8. Over on the Pop Shop Podcast, Keith Caulfield and Jason Lipshutz sit down with songwriters Justin Tranter and Leland to discuss writing for Bieber, Selena Gomez, Imagine Dragonsand other hit acts. Click here to listen.
9. Plus, on the Coming Around Again podcast, Andrew Unterberger, Gary and Trevor discuss Michael Jackson's 1987 album Bad, as well as Katy Perry's Teenage Dream, and whether we'll ever see another album notch five No. 1 Hot 100 hits. Click here to listen.
10. Cardi B's breakthrough hit "Bodak Yellow (Money Moves)" ascends to No. 1 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, earning the Bronx native her first leader on the list. Click here to read the full item.
12. Miley Cyrus returns to the top 10 on the Social 50 chart, thanks to interest in the latest episode of Apple Music's Carpool Karaoke: The Series. Plus, Logic re-enters the chart following his VMAs performance. Click here to read the full post.
13. On Billboard's revamped Emerging Artists chart, PVRIS hits No. 1 thanks to the release of the group's second studio album, All We Know of Heaven, All We Need of Hell. Plus, Christian Nodal blasts to No. 3. Click here to read the full story.