13 Things to Know About the Charts This Week: JAY-Z, DJ Khaled & 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Dominate
Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee's "Despacito," featuring Justin Bieber, joins the exclusive 10-weeks-at-No. 1 club on the Billboard Hot 100, as the smash adds a milestone 10th week to its chart-topping run. Plus, Ed Sheeran's former 12-week No. 1 "Shape of You" ties the record for the most weeks spent in the Hot 100's top five: 27.
Elsewhere, JAY-Z scores his 14th No. 1 on the Billboard 200, 4:44, extending his mark for the most among soloists in the chart's history, and second overall only to The Beatles (19). He also rules as the week's top overall act on the Billboard Artist 100.
Here are 13 other things you should know about Billboard's charts this week:
1. In honor of JAY-Z's latest Billboard 200 leader, we break down the MC's career by the numbers, dating back to his chart debut in 1996. Click here to read the full article.
3. DJ Khaled's "Wild Thoughts," featuring Rihanna and Bryson Tiller, rises 2-1 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, earning Khaled his third No. 1, Rihanna her seventh and Tiller his first. The collab also returns to No. 1 on Hot R&B Songs and hits a new high of No. 2 on the Hot 100. Click here to read the full report.
4. On the latest Chart Beat Podcast, Gary Trust and Trevor Anderson talk "Despacito" and whether the song has enough momentum to break the record for most weeks at No. 1 on the Hot 100 (16). Plus, Hit Songs Deconstructed analyzes the songwriting and production elements that have helped make Sam Hunt's "Body Like a Back Road" a country smash and a crossover pop hit. Click here to listen to the podcast.
5. Over on the Pop Shop Podcast, Keith Caulfield and Katie Atkinson sit down with Superfruit to discuss the Pentatonix spinoff group's new album Limitless and the future o Pentatonix.Click here to listen.
6. Selena Gomez rockets to No. 2 on the Social 50 chart following the release of her new single, "Fetish." Joining her in the top five is fellow former Disney Channel star Demi Lovato, who leaps 23-5 after the premiere of her new song, "Sorry Not Sorry." Click here to read the recap.
7. Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull's joint North American tour earned $18 million in the pair's first four weeks on the road, according to Billboard Boxscore. Click here to see this week's Hot Tours chart.
10. Dylan Scott earns his first Country Airplay No. 1 as "My Girl" steps 2-1. Plus, Sam Hunt looks primed to match Florida Georgia Line's record for the longest run atop the Hot Country Songs chart (with "Cruise" in 2012 and 2013), as "Body Like a Back Road" earns its 23rd week at No. 1. Click here to read this week's country charts rundown.
11. Nile Rodgers lands his fifth chart-topper on Dance Club Songs with "My Fire," featuring Tony Moran and Kimberly Davis. "It felt like a song I'd love to play on. I laughed and said, 'Plug me in!'" Rodgers told Billboard about first hearing the track. Click here for the full post.