13 Things to Know About the Charts This Week: Kendrick Lamar, Lady Gaga & Bruno Mars Make Moves
Kendrick Lamar scores a trifecta atop three of Billboard's signature charts (dated May 6): His new LP DAMN. debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 with the biggest week for an album in 2017; the set's "Humble." assumes the throne on the Billboard Hot 100; and, no surprise, Lamar leaps to No. 1 on the Billboard Artist 100.
Here are 13 other things you should know about Billboard's charts this week:
1. Lamar's DAMN. is projected to tally its second week atop the Billboard 200. Plus, Incubus could earn its seventh top 10 album on the chart with 8, while Blackbear, Brad Paisley and the Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 soundtrack are also set to debut. Click here to read the full item.
2. Lady Gaga lands her 20th top 40 hit on the Hot 100 with "The Cure." Plus, Kygo and Selena Gomez's "It Ain't Me" and James Arthur's "Say You Won't Let Go" each reach the Radio Songs chart's top 10. Click here for the full recap.
3. Following the band's feature on Lamar's "XXX.," U2 joins Michael Jackson, Madonna and "Weird Al" Yankovic as the only acts with new top 40 Hot 100 hits in the '80s, '90s, '00s and '10s. Click here to read the full post.
4. The Bee Gees' iconic Saturday Night Fever re-enters the Billboard 200 following their Grammy Salute. Plus, Luis Fonsi's "Despacito" helps drive the Dance Latin #1 Hits 2.0 compilation to No. 25, while Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly and the Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 soundtrack re-enter. Click here to read the full recap.
5. As the soundtrack to The Fate of the Furious enters the Billboard 200 at No. 10, Billboard looks backs at the film franchises with the most top 10 soundtracks on the chart. Click here for all the chart … action!
6. On this week's Chart Beat Podcast, Gary Trust and Trevor Anderson discuss the rarity of Hot Latin Songs and Hot Country Songs No. 1s hitting the Hot 100's top 10, which just occurred in consecutive weeks. Plus, an analysis by Hit Songs Deconstructed of what made The Chainsmokers' "Closer," featuring Halsey, such a smash. Click here to listen to the full podcast.
9. Haim also ruled the Trending 140 with its latest single, "Right Now," the first song released from the pop trio's sophomore album, Something to Tell You, due July 7. Click here for the full item.
10. Big news for Bruno Mars this week: The singer earns his eighth No. 1 on the Pop Songs airplay chart with "That's What I Like," tying Justin Timberlake for the most No. 1s among male soloists. Click here to read the full article.
11. Zedd and Alessia Cara's "Stay" does the opposite of what its title suggests, zooming 5-1 on the Hot Dance/Electronic Songs chart. The rise earns Zedd his third No. 1 on the chart and Cara her first. Click here for the full recap.
12. Sam Hunt continues to lead the way on the Hot Country Songs chart, as "Body Like a Back Road" tallies its 11th week at No. 1. Plus, Kelsea Ballerini hits the Country Airplay top 10 and Chris Stapleton debuts his new track. Click here to read the full story.