Ed Sheeran and Drake Help Sony/ATV Keep No. 1 on UK Singles Chart for Entire Year
Sony/ATV Music Publishing just achieved a milestone that serves as another reminder that it's the world's top publisher. With confirmation of Sony/ATV writer Ed Sheeran's ninth straight week atop the Official Singles Chart, the publishing giant has now had a hand in every No. 1 single in the U.K. for an entire year.
Mike Posner kicked off Sony/ATV's run of No. 1s back in March 2016 with his single "I Took a Pill in Ibiza," which kept the top spot for four weeks. Since then, Sony/ATV artists have been involved in hits from Drake, James Arthur, The Chainsmokers and others. Here's a full rundown:
- "I Took A Pill In Ibiza" by Mike Posner (Sony/ATV writer(s) Mike Posner) 4 weeks at No.1
- "One Dance" by Drake feat. Wizkid and Kyla (Drake, Ayodeji Balogun, Paul Jefferies aka Nineeten85, Errol Reid) 15 weeks
- "Cold Water" by Major Lazer feat. Justin Bieber and MO (Ed Sheeran, Jamie Scott) 5 weeks
- "Closer" by The Chainsmokers feat. Halsey (Andrew Taggart, Frederic Kennett, Isaac Slade, Joseph King) 4 weeks
- "Say You Won’t Let Go" by James Arthur (James Arthur) 3 weeks
- "Shout Out To My Ex" by Little Mix (Camille Purcell) 3 weeks
- "Rockabye" by Clean Bandit feat. Sean Paul and Anne-Marie (Jack Patterson, Sean Paul) 9 weeks
- "Shape Of You" by Ed Sheeran (Ed Sheeran) 9 weeks
"We can’t underestimate this incredible accomplishment," said Martin Bandier, Sony/ATV chairman and CEO. "It’s difficult enough to have one No. 1 but 52 weeks or a solid one year is unheard of. It proves our global approach to music with a strong local A&R presence is a successful strategy."
Sheeran's "Shape of You" also holds the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100, where it has been for six consecutive weeks. The forecast for Sheeran's new ÷ (Divide) album has been growing since its release March 3, with industry prognosticators saying it'll have the largest debut of 2017 in the U.S.
"We are lucky enough to work with Ed and so many other incredible songwriters and I'm particularly pleased that this run highlights the diversity of our roster from emerging and established homegrown talent to international superstars," said Guy Moot, Sony/ATV UK managing director and president, European Creative.
For the time being at least, Sony/ATV's milestone in the U.K. won't be replicated stateside. In the past year, the Billboard Hot 100 has been topped by songwriters from other publishers, including Warner/Chappell Music (Gucci Mane's "Black Beatles" -- it reached No. 2 in the U.K.) and Universal Music Publishing Group (Justin Timberlake's "Can't Stop the Feeling!" -- also No. 2 in the U.K.).